Too_Many_Tools

Default Mitsubishi Television...Can't Turn It On Reliablely

I have a 27" Mitsubishi television from the mid 90's that will not turn
on reliablely.

One must turn it on dozens of times before it will stay on.

I have noticed that it is used often, the problem goes away while if it
is not used for weeks the problem becomes more severe.

I have checked the archives and it does sound like the known capacitor
problem with Mitsubishi sets of the 90's raising its ugly head.

While the set is a very nice set which works great after getting it
turned on and it does have sentimental value, I seriously doubt that it
is worth going through if one needs to replace hundreds of caps.

The main question I have for the group is does anyone know why the set
refuses to turn on? Does anyone know the failure mode that is going on?
Is this a common symptom? My sister had a similar set of comparable age
with the same problem.

Thanks for any advice.

TMT