Morris Dovey

) said:
||| I want to cut a 1/8" deep, 3/4" wide (long) groove around a 3/4"
||| dowel. I have a TS and a BS, as well as a basic set of chisels,
||| but not a lathe. I am looking for advice for an effective AND
||| safe way to do this. TIA. -- Igor
|| Do you have a drill press?
|
| Yes, I do.

Hot melt glue a short piece of smaller dowel to the end of your 3/4"
dowel, chuck the small dowel in the drill press, and use a small
rasp/sanding block to cut your groove. Use heat to remove the short
dowel when you're done.

This isn't really an elegant approach, but a drill press can serve as
a "poor man's lathe" for jobs like this where there isn't any
appreciable side loading. A bit of care in joining the two dowels can
help to minimize off-center wobble.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar