Tim Killian

I've had fiberglass-epoxy, polycarbonate, and acrylic laser cut in
thicknesses down to 1/16 inch. The FRP and PC had charring on the edges,
but the cuts were otherwise OK. Acrylic had the cleanest finish - almost
polished. As for "etching" plastics, that's usually a thing I try to
avoid have happen, so I can't offer any advice there.

Some shops will not cut plastics at all anymore because of the fumes and
OSHA. Give these folks a call or email:

http://www.rontro.com/

They have no problems with prototype/small orders, and they're willing
to cut plastics.

news.verizon.net wrote:
I have been told that it is difficult to laser cut styrene as the plastic
will burn and curl up as the laser cuts through it.

I assume that this is due to the heat insulative properties of styrene.

The question, is there a plastic that will cut easily, is glueable,
bendable, and can be etched in a thickness down to .005 or .010 inch?

I have heard that acrylic that is laser cut is too thick.

I don't know about ABS, and heard that PVC fumes are too dangerous.

Thanks
Keith Walker