Tom Miller

"news.verizon.net" wrote in message
news:s5iZe.1053$qC4.330@trnddc02...
I have been told that it is difficult to laser cut styrene as the plastic
will burn and curl up as the laser cuts through it.

I assume that this is due to the heat insulative properties of styrene.

The question, is there a plastic that will cut easily, is glueable,
bendable, and can be etched in a thickness down to .005 or .010 inch?

I have heard that acrylic that is laser cut is too thick.

I don't know about ABS, and heard that PVC fumes are too dangerous.

Thanks
Keith Walker

The best (and cheapest) way to cut and engrave most plastics is with a CNC
router. The machines can cut as fast as laser and give an excellent finish
if the travel speed is kept at reasonable speed. Most cutting contractors
prefur a DXF format drawing as do the laser cutters. An alternative which is
slower and usually more expensive is water jet. I usually reserve that for
hard stuff like tungsten carbide or glass,but it will cut plastics very
nicely if that's all that's available in your area.

Tom