Ecnerwal

In article ,
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Okay, I'm a curious person. According to Google groups,
rec.crafts.metalworking has been active since 1992. But Google was only
established in 1998, so how did they obtain the message archives dating
back to 1992? I thought that in earlier days Usenet messages just
expired and vanished into cyberspace...

Google bought Dejanews, the company that actually had the idea of
archiving usenet. Still the easiest to remember address to get to the
google group search, though last time I used it it was still broken from
being "improved". You might not notice if you had not used the
"unimproved" search, I suppose.

Still plenty of time pre-archiving in the memory-banks of those of us
only half-way to geezerhood.