Christopher Tidy

Default OT question about this group

Okay, I'm a curious person. According to Google groups,
rec.crafts.metalworking has been active since 1992. But Google was only
established in 1998, so how did they obtain the message archives dating
back to 1992? I thought that in earlier days Usenet messages just
expired and vanished into cyberspace...

Chris

Ecnerwal

In article ,
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Okay, I'm a curious person. According to Google groups,
rec.crafts.metalworking has been active since 1992. But Google was only
established in 1998, so how did they obtain the message archives dating
back to 1992? I thought that in earlier days Usenet messages just
expired and vanished into cyberspace...

Google bought Dejanews, the company that actually had the idea of
archiving usenet. Still the easiest to remember address to get to the
google group search, though last time I used it it was still broken from
being "improved". You might not notice if you had not used the
"unimproved" search, I suppose.

Still plenty of time pre-archiving in the memory-banks of those of us
only half-way to geezerhood.

I thought that the beta version of Google went back to arround

Jon Danniken

"Ecnerwal" wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Okay, I'm a curious person. According to Google groups,
rec.crafts.metalworking has been active since 1992. But Google was only
established in 1998, so how did they obtain the message archives dating
back to 1992? I thought that in earlier days Usenet messages just
expired and vanished into cyberspace...

Google bought Dejanews, the company that actually had the idea of
archiving usenet. Still the easiest to remember address to get to the
google group search, though last time I used it it was still broken from
being "improved". You might not notice if you had not used the
"unimproved" search, I suppose.

Yep, it's still broken since they went to the 'beta' version almost a year
ago. I wouldn't have minded the advertisements, but they didn't have to go
borking up the results pages, unfixed since 'beta' replaced the old deja
format.. I know I use it a loss less than I did in the past, and that is
unfortunate; it used to be a great way to obtain information.

Jon

Tim Killian

Google bought Deja-Vu's News Group servers when they went belly-up in
the dotcom bust. Otherwise all of those posts (.5 Tera byte) would have
been lost. Now they're all nicely preserved for some future tyrant who
will undoubtedly use them to persecute "enemies" of the state ;-)

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Okay, I'm a curious person. According to Google groups,
rec.crafts.metalworking has been active since 1992. But Google was only
established in 1998, so how did they obtain the message archives dating
back to 1992? I thought that in earlier days Usenet messages just
expired and vanished into cyberspace...

Chris

Abrasha

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Okay, I'm a curious person. According to Google groups,
rec.crafts.metalworking has been active since 1992. But Google was only
established in 1998, so how did they obtain the message archives dating
back to 1992? I thought that in earlier days Usenet messages just
expired and vanished into cyberspace...

Chris

Dejanews existed before Google, ... long before Google. they archived
everything.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Christopher Tidy

Tim Killian wrote:
Google bought Deja-Vu's News Group servers when they went belly-up in
the dotcom bust. Otherwise all of those posts (.5 Tera byte) would have
been lost. Now they're all nicely preserved for some future tyrant who
will undoubtedly use them to persecute "enemies" of the state ;-)

Thanks to all for the explanations. As I said, I'm just curious. So was
RCM in existence before 1992?

Chris

Martin H. Eastburn

The isp they got it from had all. New account and see how many you get.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Okay, I'm a curious person. According to Google groups,
rec.crafts.metalworking has been active since 1992. But Google was only
established in 1998, so how did they obtain the message archives dating
back to 1992? I thought that in earlier days Usenet messages just
expired and vanished into cyberspace...

Chris

Gerald Miller

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 00:50:18 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Okay, I'm a curious person. According to Google groups,
rec.crafts.metalworking has been active since 1992. But Google was only
established in 1998, so how did they obtain the message archives dating
back to 1992? I thought that in earlier days Usenet messages just
expired and vanished into cyberspace...

Chris

Got 'em on CD from the FTP site - see FAQ
http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal/faqa.html
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
DoN. Nichols

According to Christopher Tidy :
Tim Killian wrote:
Google bought Deja-Vu's News Group servers when they went belly-up in
the dotcom bust. Otherwise all of those posts (.5 Tera byte) would have
been lost. Now they're all nicely preserved for some future tyrant who
will undoubtedly use them to persecute "enemies" of the state ;-)

Thanks to all for the explanations. As I said, I'm just curious. So was
RCM in existence before 1992?

IIRC, it started out as a trial newsgroup (a practice which has
fallen by the wayside theses days), and after success as that, it moved
to a full RFD and CFV, and became a full-fledged member of the "Big
Eight" heirarchies.

O.K. The 1992 archives start out with a posting to
trial.rec.metalworking dated 11 Jul 92 01:23:57 GMT, so that was the
start of the idea of the newsgroup.

And the 1993 archives start out with an article dated Mon, 21
Dec 1992 21:55:45 GMT posted to rec.crafts.metalworking with the first
line reading:

"Oh hey! A new newsgroup! Can I be the first poster?"

so -- that was when it started under the current name.

Note that you can download all of the archives from the FAQ
site, http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal/faqa.html.

Beware that some of them have a Windows virus in a few messages,
so if you are on Windows, you probably should not uncompress them.

Note that earlier messages are zipped files of all the messages
run together, and later ones are gzipped as the technology changed.

It looks as though this archive stops after the first half of
2004 (metal04a.gz), which may mean that the person who was archiving
things, and maintaining the FAQ retired at that time.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Gunner Asch

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:12:32 -0600, Tim Killian
wrote:

Google bought Deja-Vu's News Group servers when they went belly-up in
the dotcom bust. Otherwise all of those posts (.5 Tera byte) would have
been lost. Now they're all nicely preserved for some future tyrant who
will undoubtedly use them to persecute "enemies" of the state ;-)

Or for us Enemies of the State to presecute the tyrants.

Its indeed a two way street.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Tim Killian

We can joke about this but history has a precedent. Good ol' Joe Stalin
sent thousands of intellectuals to Siberia to "count birch trees" based
on their published writings before the revolution. Over the years many
Usenet posters used their real names and wrote some extremely
inflammatory stuff. Good luck to all in the coming storm.

wrote:

Google bought Deja-Vu's News Group servers when they went belly-up in
the dotcom bust. Otherwise all of those posts (.5 Tera byte) would have
been lost. Now they're all nicely preserved for some future tyrant who
will undoubtedly use them to persecute "enemies" of the state ;-)

Or for us Enemies of the State to presecute the tyrants.

Its indeed a two way street.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Christopher Tidy

Tim Killian wrote:

[...]

Another reason why I like UNIX :-).

Thanks for the information, Don.

Chris

jim rozen

In article , Ecnerwal
says...

Google bought Dejanews, the company that actually had the idea of
archiving usenet.

And google still sucks for usenet access. Dejanews was
good, and I can still recall when google took them over.

Google Sucks! was the rallying point. And it did, even worse
than it does now.

This is why I became familiar with newsguy.

Jim

please reply to: