No

Hi - The vented/ventfree and code issues aside. I have had experience with
two types in my cottage. The blue flame type and the infrared type.

I have a blue flame type on LP although they do have NG as well. The Blue
flame style heats the air and would not have the clearance restrictions of a
infrared style. I have a couch about 2 feet away from mine and the material
doesn't even get warm to the touch. My blue flame has the features you are
looking for except a programmable thermostat. It just has a regular
thermostat, I assume by programmable you mean that you can tell the unit
times of day to come on and off or what temps you want at different times.
My blue flame has a fan as well, fan can run with thermostat or on all the
time.

Mine is similar to http://www.comfortglow.com/blueflame/cb30t.html . IIRC
its this brand but slightly different model. I got it at the Blue or maybe,
the orange store.

The infrared units will feel warmer at first. You can stand in front of them
and really feel the heat. You need to keep things farther away from them.
They are better in smaller areas.
http://www.comfortglow.com/infraredheat/

"Lesley" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry, I didn't mean portable. I guess I meant "compact". I always
think of something "small" as being "portable". I need to stop that.

I'm looking for a vent-free, open flame, compact natural gas heater
with a fan that has a programmable thermostat in addition to automatic
shut-off if oxygen is depleted or if the pilot light goes out.

If anyone has any recommendations, I would be interested in hearing
them.

Thanks again,

Lesley