Lesley

Default Efficient Portable Natural Gas Heater

Hi there,

I searched the archives for this but didn't come up with any answers.
I need to buy one-maybe-two portable gas heater(s) and I'd like to get
some opinions on whatever brands you guys might be familiar with.

I found this one on line,

andhttp://www.epinions.com/DeLonghi_WIR2_Ceramic_Compact_Heater/display_~full_specs

I like it. It seems to have everything I need. Does anyone know
anything about this brand of portable heater?

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Lesley

Dr. Hardcrab

"Lesley" wrote
Hi there,

I searched the archives for this but didn't come up with any answers.
I need to buy one-maybe-two portable gas heater(s) and I'd like to get
some opinions on whatever brands you guys might be familiar with.

I found this one on line,

andhttp://www.epinions.com/DeLonghi_WIR2_Ceramic_Compact_Heater/display_~full_specs

O.K. I am dumb when it comes to natural gas (since I live in oil country),
but I always thought that natural gas was piped into one's house and propane
is delievered in tanks (whether filled on the spot or swapped out with full
tanks). There are small propane tanks such as the ones on grills. I would
think that a PROPANE heater could be "portable", but a natural gas heater
could (practically) NOT be portable.

How can it be "portable" if it has to be hooked up the the pipeline coming
into your house? To me it sounds as sensible as a solar powered flashlight,
but as I said, I don't know that much about natural gas.

BTW, your link doesn't work......

Beachcomber

How can it be "portable" if it has to be hooked up the the pipeline coming
into your house? To me it sounds as sensible as a solar powered flashlight,
but as I said, I don't know that much about natural gas.

BTW, your link doesn't work......

Propane is mostly a liquid and just partially a gas at room
temperatures. Because of this, it is relatively easy to store in
large quantities. You can safely have a small container of LP
(liquid propane) for a BBQ grill, or a big tank in the backyard to
heat your home for the winter months.

Natural gas is delivered to your house by a utility at medium/low
pressures and is in the form of 100% gas (no liquid). To store it,
you would need special tanks and compressors which would generate all
sorts of safety issues for residential service and this is simply not
done.

Natural Gas does exist as a liquid but at super low temps and
extremely high pressures for bulk transport such as LNG Supertankers.
It's not something you would want to have in your home though.

In a sense, the gas utility is more like the electric utility in the
sense that the utility company provides the storage (or grid) function
and you simply use whatever your system demands and no more.

Beachcomber

Lesley

Sorry, I didn't mean portable. I guess I meant "compact". I always
think of something "small" as being "portable". I need to stop that.

I'm looking for a vent-free, open flame, compact natural gas heater
with a fan that has a programmable thermostat in addition to automatic
shut-off if oxygen is depleted or if the pilot light goes out.

If anyone has any recommendations, I would be interested in hearing
them.

Thanks again,

Lesley

SQLit

"Beachcomber" wrote in message

[...]

There are CNG machines out there that are not super cooled. I used to work
on them at the university I work at for a while. They converted a lot of the
vehicles to run on CNG. (compressed natural gas). The compressor took the
gas from the regulator and compressed it into another tank. Which we then
used to fill vehicles from. It worked pretty good as long as the ambinet air
temp was not in tripple digits. Then the limitation of the compressor kicked
it and well,,,, refueling daily or every 30-40 miles was a reality. With
better equipment maybe the experment would have lasted longer.

I have heard that some of the auto makers want to produce CNG cars but that
means a network of CNG stations or ........... a compressor at your home.
Now that is a scary thought

Wayne Whitney

On 2005-09-18, Beachcomber wrote:

Propane is mostly a liquid and just partially a gas at room
temperatures.

Just to clarify this a bit, unconstrained propane (1 atmosphere
pressure) is a gas at room temperature. It's boiling point is -44
degrees F. But if you constrain it in a tank, then it can easily be
made liquid at room temperatu e.g. at 200 PSI the boiling point is
110 degrees F. [Disclaimer: these numbers are from random websites.]

Cheers, Wayne
Greg O

"Lesley" wrote in message
ups.com...

I'm looking for a vent-free, open flame, compact natural gas heater
with a fan that has a programmable thermostat in addition to automatic
shut-off if oxygen is depleted or if the pilot light goes out.

If anyone has any recommendations, I would be interested in hearing
them.

Thanks again,

Lesley

Do yourself a favor an stop looking at vent free heaters! No mater what the
manufacturers want you to believe they are not that safe. Many areas do not
allow they because of problems the heaters can have.

Similar styled heaters in wall vented models are available, safer, and
better for you and your home.
Greg

Stretch

How would like to live inside a chimney? Because if you get an
unvented heater, that is what you are doing.

Stretch

George

Lesley wrote:
Sorry, I didn't mean portable. I guess I meant "compact". I always
think of something "small" as being "portable". I need to stop that.

I'm looking for a vent-free, open flame, compact natural gas heater
with a fan that has a programmable thermostat in addition to automatic
shut-off if oxygen is depleted or if the pilot light goes out.

I have never been in a area where a vent free heater was being used that
I didn't get a headache or lousy feeling. Combustion byproducts are
always present no matter what it says on the box. Do your family a favor
and look for a high efficiency *vented* heater.

If anyone has any recommendations, I would be interested in hearing
them.

Thanks again,

Lesley

Dr. Hardcrab

I DO understand what you and Beachcomber are talking about, but I'll go back
to my same question:

How or what would be a natural gas PORTABLE heater? If it's piped in (and
not propane), how can it be PORTABLE???

Beachcomber

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:09:52 -0400, George
wrote:

Lesley wrote:
Sorry, I didn't mean portable. I guess I meant "compact". I always
think of something "small" as being "portable". I need to stop that.

I'm looking for a vent-free, open flame, compact natural gas heater
with a fan that has a programmable thermostat in addition to automatic
shut-off if oxygen is depleted or if the pilot light goes out.

WW Granger sells what they call "portable" NG heaters. (I didn't
think that anything like that existed). It looks like they are used
for construction sites. The one I saw (Dayton model 6BY70) looks like
it comes with a flexible hose and some sort of NG connector.

You might have a hard time finding anything smaller or code rated for
residential use that isn't a permanent NG heater.

The Granger Site is at:

www.grainger.com

(No affiliation)

Beachcomber

Lawrence Wasserman

In article . com,
Lesley wrote:
Sorry, I didn't mean portable. I guess I meant "compact". I always
think of something "small" as being "portable". I need to stop that.

I'm looking for a vent-free, open flame, compact natural gas heater
with a fan that has a programmable thermostat in addition to automatic
shut-off if oxygen is depleted or if the pilot light goes out.

If anyone has any recommendations, I would be interested in hearing
them.

Thanks again,

Lesley

Home Depot sells them under the name "Comfort Glow" and Harbor Freight
has a similar line calld "Procom" (Maybe spelled "Procomm") They are
not available in all areas and are not permitted under code in some
localities.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

No

Hi - The vented/ventfree and code issues aside. I have had experience with
two types in my cottage. The blue flame type and the infrared type.

I have a blue flame type on LP although they do have NG as well. The Blue
flame style heats the air and would not have the clearance restrictions of a
infrared style. I have a couch about 2 feet away from mine and the material
doesn't even get warm to the touch. My blue flame has the features you are
looking for except a programmable thermostat. It just has a regular
thermostat, I assume by programmable you mean that you can tell the unit
times of day to come on and off or what temps you want at different times.
My blue flame has a fan as well, fan can run with thermostat or on all the
time.

Mine is similar to http://www.comfortglow.com/blueflame/cb30t.html . IIRC
its this brand but slightly different model. I got it at the Blue or maybe,
the orange store.

The infrared units will feel warmer at first. You can stand in front of them
and really feel the heat. You need to keep things farther away from them.
They are better in smaller areas.
http://www.comfortglow.com/infraredheat/

ups.com...