Dave Liquorice

Default Chasing computer wiring (Cat-5) into plaster over brick wall

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:57:50 GMT, Simon Avery wrote:

Indeed, and with wireless everything now so cheap, it's getting
harder to justify wiring, imo. Just need a rx/tx widget in each room
and everything in it talks to that.

I don't know of a single wireless tx/rx widget that will do video,
audio, LAN, POTS and ISDN. Several wireless widgets yes but some share
the same frequency band (2.4Ghz) and that is getting really rather
crowded and speed/reliabilty are real issues.

Are computerised houses coming more popular? Don't hear much of
them.

Define computerised? Nearly all larger domestic white goods have a
microcontroller inside now, dsihwashers, washing machines, uWaves,
heating controllers etc. They don't talk to each other yet though,
with the advent of things like Bluetooth I wonder how long it will be
before they do but is there and real need?

Ack, but 10 "works" fast enough for my purposes.

300bps modems where fast enough at one time, thats how I started this
computer comms lark back in the late '80s. I now have a 100Mbps net
connection... (Well thats the speed into the WAN NIC, there is an RF
bottle neck which reduces the throughput to around 1Mbps in practice).

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail