Beachcomber

How can it be "portable" if it has to be hooked up the the pipeline coming
into your house? To me it sounds as sensible as a solar powered flashlight,
but as I said, I don't know that much about natural gas.

BTW, your link doesn't work......

Propane is mostly a liquid and just partially a gas at room
temperatures. Because of this, it is relatively easy to store in
large quantities. You can safely have a small container of LP
(liquid propane) for a BBQ grill, or a big tank in the backyard to
heat your home for the winter months.

Natural gas is delivered to your house by a utility at medium/low
pressures and is in the form of 100% gas (no liquid). To store it,
you would need special tanks and compressors which would generate all
sorts of safety issues for residential service and this is simply not
done.

Natural Gas does exist as a liquid but at super low temps and
extremely high pressures for bulk transport such as LNG Supertankers.
It's not something you would want to have in your home though.

In a sense, the gas utility is more like the electric utility in the
sense that the utility company provides the storage (or grid) function
and you simply use whatever your system demands and no more.

Beachcomber