CW

Mine are strait and I wouldn't have it any other way. If you tilt them, at
some point the will be in the wrong direction. If you simply must have an
angle, angle the dogs, not the holes.

"AAvK" wrote in message

I just bought both Veritas striking knife and saddle square for
marking out the dog holes on my top maple, then I remembered
the 2º/88º thing. The saddle square is "square", no 2º/88º slant
to it.

"Goofy me" for that!

I suppose I'll use the T-bevel set from a protractor.

Is there a better idea?

Or Should I get a local machinist to create the 2º/88º on the
saddle square? (naw naw naw lol)

Do dog holes *have to* be 2º/88º off?

Do they "lean" towards the end vise? (obviously yes)

If so, what about the dog holes for the front vise, is that a
compromise?

I have seen pictures of benches with two rows of holes... how
does compromise work exactly? 2º/88º in the two directions?
Impossible at my level, and I know it.

Or should there be a separate set of holes just for the front
vise? I havn't seen or heard of that before... and it would be
a "funky" and possibly untraditional answer.

TIA,

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com