Wayne Lundberg

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, I am designing a picture card holder for a busy store with
regular through traffic. I am going to do it in sheet metal steel 1 mm
thick. cut out a square for the picture to show through , fold back the
sides and cut out a tab each side that will slot on a wire frame.

I am going to paint the picture holder a matt black and then have the
paint hardened.

My concern is:

1) that the paint finish and look of the holder will stand up to wear
and tear over a 2 year period-one thing I would not want to see is
corroded metal exposed and

2) that 1mm thick steel is going to be strong enough to hold up to wear
and tear and keep its correct shape over a 2 year period.I am not sure
wether i should leave the folded edges free or wether they should be
attached together(welded?)

Thanks

Steve

You should also consider Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene as a
material. It will never wear out! You cannot glue it, but you could design
it for snap together and buy the material and design with box format for
rigidity. They use this material on heavy duty earth excavator's teeth
because of it's resistance to abrasion wear. Try sanding a piece and you
will know why!