Dave Hinz

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:41:09 GMT, Tom Gardner wrote:

Send me a 1911 shooter that you won't care if I drill a few holes in it for
a red-dot. I don't want your "Sunday-go-to-church" gun

Tom,

My dad just came home from a gun show and expressed his thoughts that he
really shouldn't have had his Gold Cup drilled & tapped all those years
ago...didn't want to give details but his eyes had "that look".

No point in setting up a separate slide for your scope mount, the best
solution as you say is to build up another one. Essex frames aren't
horrible, and with Wilson Combat components you can build a nice 1911
for not too much hassle. You can even go surplus USGI if you enjoy
fitting. I think I used a milsurp USGI slide, barrel, and bushing. Not
too horribly many hours later, I have a nice 1911 that works just fine,
nice tight slide, and good lug engagement. Good winter project
if nothing else.

Dave Hinz