Tom Gardner

Default [OT] Great funeral

We buried my dad today after 4 years of home care after springing him and
mom from a nursing home. It was great! Lots of friends food and hooch and
we have a HUGE family. (Irish Catholic) The best part was the pastor at our
parish that presided over the Mass and burial had his fly open and his shirt
hanging out at the grave site...and of course, NOBODY would tell him, just
snicker. Dad would have LOVED it!!!

Ken Cutt

Tom Gardner wrote:
We buried my dad today after 4 years of home care after springing him and
mom from a nursing home. It was great! Lots of friends food and hooch and
we have a HUGE family. (Irish Catholic) The best part was the pastor at our
parish that presided over the Mass and burial had his fly open and his shirt
hanging out at the grave site...and of course, NOBODY would tell him, just
snicker. Dad would have LOVED it!!!

Condolences .
Ken Cutt
Abrasha

Tom Gardner wrote:
We buried my dad today after 4 years of home care after springing him and
mom from a nursing home. It was great! Lots of friends food and hooch and
we have a HUGE family. (Irish Catholic) The best part was the pastor at our
parish that presided over the Mass and burial had his fly open and his shirt
hanging out at the grave site...and of course, NOBODY would tell him, just
snicker. Dad would have LOVED it!!!

I admire you for being able to have a good time at your father's
funeral. He'd be proud of you.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Gunner Asch

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:16:10 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

We buried my dad today after 4 years of home care after springing him and
mom from a nursing home. It was great! Lots of friends food and hooch and
we have a HUGE family. (Irish Catholic) The best part was the pastor at our
parish that presided over the Mass and burial had his fly open and his shirt
hanging out at the grave site...and of course, NOBODY would tell him, just
snicker. Dad would have LOVED it!!!

Chuckle..my condolences of course.

When its my turn to pass..the specs of my will, are gonna raise a
bunch of eyebrows...not the least is the piper sans kilt.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Gunner Asch

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:07:24 GMT, xray
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:35:12 GMT, Gunner Asch
wrote:

...not the least is the piper sans kilt.

Hmm. Can you keep one on tap before you go? Seems like a difficult role
to fill. (Easier close to LA and if you don't care about the quality of
the music.)

I have friends in the "Folk Music" community, which includes a number
of pipers. I know of several who would relish standing in their
skivies, with the appropriate coat, playing Amazing Grace for my
"service". The single biggest issue is finding enough hookers without
everyone getting busted.

As I said...the specs will raise some eyebrows..but not for those who
know me well.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
gyury

My condoliance too! You father go to the Holly God!

jim rozen

In article , nospam says...

We buried my dad today after 4 years of home care after springing him and
mom from a nursing home.

My wishes go out to you. You were wise to bring them home from
a place like that. No matter how nice they are, they're still not
home. Even though it was a lot of work for you, he appreciated it.

Jim

please reply to:

Al A.

wrote:

We buried my dad today after 4 years of home care after springing him and
mom from a nursing home. It was great! Lots of friends food and hooch and
we have a HUGE family. (Irish Catholic) The best part was the pastor at our
parish that presided over the Mass and burial had his fly open and his shirt
hanging out at the grave site...and of course, NOBODY would tell him, just
snicker. Dad would have LOVED it!!!

We cared for my mom at our home for over 4 years unitl she became
completly unable to move. She is an alzheimers paitent, and finally
got to the point where she was 100% bedridden. We hung on for 6
months, giving her 24 hour care unitl we simply could not do it
anymore. She would be unresponsive for days at a time. We where sure
she was dying and wanted her to do so at home. All the rest of my
family scattered. You sure learn who is for real and who isn't during
those sort of things. Exausted, we finally moved her to a nursing
facility up the road, a great place, where her physical heatlth
improved greatly. Her mind is pretty much not there anymore, but she
is being better taken care of than we could do. Still, every time we
visit, we still want to take her home.

It stinks to have your body outlive your mind.

So my condolances. it is refreshing to see folks with a good outlook
on the whole thing. Good for you for taking him out of the nursing
home and taking care of him. We've walked that path, you have my
respect. It really is the right thing to do, if it possible. When we
had my mom here, it was shocking to me to see how many of our
"friends" and relatives said things like "I don't know why your
keeping her here, she belongs in a home..."

-AL A.

steve

Yea, we have a large extended family, many cousins, no one sent their
parents to a home. I think it comes down to mostly planning, and
planning early, like when you just begin working, and assume at some
point in your life you won't be working for 5 to 10 years to take care
of your parents, if you do that the process becomes much easier.

But obviously things happen, though, and life doesn't go as planned,
and you may not have the skill/resources to care for your parents
properly, so nursing homes are the best option in some cases. But I
know a lot of people who think taking off from work is not even a
option they would consider, their life plan assumes nothing bad will
ever happen to them or their family.

Spehro Pefhany

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:16:10 GMT, the renowned "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

We buried my dad today after 4 years of home care after springing him and
mom from a nursing home. It was great! Lots of friends food and hooch and
we have a HUGE family. (Irish Catholic) The best part was the pastor at our
parish that presided over the Mass and burial had his fly open and his shirt
hanging out at the grave site...and of course, NOBODY would tell him, just
snicker. Dad would have LOVED it!!!

Condolences, Tom. We did the same for my Scottish MIL. Interestingly,
at her sendoff, a lot of older folks expressed serious doubts that any
of their kids would have done the same for them.

Say, he must have been a real character, judging by your posts. ;-)
Got any anecdotes? There's a cold Guinness in the fridge and I'm
looking for a good reason to pop it open.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Robert Swinney

I'm sorry I didn't see Tom's original post. Thanks to Ken for bringing it
to our attention. I am very sorry for your loss, Tom. Hopefully the humor
during the graveside service will help set a mood for remembering your Dad.
Remember him for the all the good times!

Bob Swinney
"Ken Cutt" wrote in message
Tom Gardner wrote:
We buried my dad today after 4 years of home care after springing him and
mom from a nursing home. It was great! Lots of friends food and hooch
and we have a HUGE family. (Irish Catholic) The best part was the pastor
at our parish that presided over the Mass and burial had his fly open and
his shirt hanging out at the grave site...and of course, NOBODY would
tell him, just snicker. Dad would have LOVED it!!!

Condolences .
Ken Cutt

jim rozen

In article , Al A. says...

It stinks to have your body outlive your mind.

True, but only marginally. I spent the better part of this summer
helping my mom who was hospitalized several times for a variety
of serious problems. Eventually she went to rehab in a nursing
home, and while it was bad for her being so terribly disabled and
yet still acutely aware of what was going on. Worse because
she retired from her job as a nurse while she was hospitalized.

It was bad but we both realized that problems like your mom's
were a great deal tougher. I think that anything you do to
make her life better in any way at all, is a graceful act.
Like you say, in a situation like that, you really see who sticks
and who doesn't.

Jim

please reply to:
jim rozen

In article . com, steve says...

But obviously things happen, though, and life doesn't go as planned,
and you may not have the skill/resources to care for your parents
properly, so nursing homes are the best option in some cases. But I
know a lot of people who think taking off from work is not even a
option they would consider, their life plan assumes nothing bad will
ever happen to them or their family.

Another argument against at-home care is, there are some medical
conditions that really do require a higher level of care than is
practical at home. For some actute illnesses, being in a nursing
home really is better because there are more highly trained
staff right there at hand at all times.

Jim

please reply to:

Jim McGill

Gunner

So are they gonna put a $20 gold piece on your watch chain and bury you
in your high top Stetson hat?

(with apologies to "St. James Infirmary")

Mac
Al A.

On 20 Sep 2005 08:58:26 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Al A. says...

It stinks to have your body outlive your mind.

True, but only marginally. I spent the better part of this summer
helping my mom who was hospitalized several times for a variety
of serious problems. Eventually she went to rehab in a nursing
home, and while it was bad for her being so terribly disabled and
yet still acutely aware of what was going on. Worse because
she retired from her job as a nurse while she was hospitalized.

It was bad but we both realized that problems like your mom's
were a great deal tougher. I think that anything you do to
make her life better in any way at all, is a graceful act.
Like you say, in a situation like that, you really see who sticks
and who doesn't.

Jim

You are right, Jim, neither option is very palatable. That must have
been tough on your mom. I guess that if you keep you mind but your
body fails, it is agony for you. If your mind fails and your body
holds up, it is agony for those around you. At this point, my mother
is healthy and blissfully unaware of her condition. The blessing in it
all is that she smiles and laughs, though none of us know about what!
She is not one of those poor folks who lays about the place crying
that they want to go home or whatever.

And as far as seeing who sticks and who dosen't, the truly surprising
thing to me was the people that always seemed to be casual
aquaintences that came through in a huge way when we really needed
help. It was impressive in a few instances.

I learned great respect for anyone who walks that path. Every story
is different, but none are easy.

One of the most shocking parts is the number of people that will tell
you that you are nuts for taking care of your parent. That caused me
to lose a fair bit of respect for some people I once thought more
highly of.

Thanks for listening...

Al A.
Christopher Tidy

Tom Gardner wrote:
We buried my dad today after 4 years of home care after springing him and
mom from a nursing home. It was great! Lots of friends food and hooch and
we have a HUGE family. (Irish Catholic) The best part was the pastor at our
parish that presided over the Mass and burial had his fly open and his shirt
hanging out at the grave site...and of course, NOBODY would tell him, just
snicker. Dad would have LOVED it!!!

Sorry to hear about your dad. But it does make a funeral great when lots
of people attend. You realise how many friends the person had, and that
tempers the sadness a little and makes the occasion.

Chris

Gunner

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:18:47 -0700, Jim McGill
wrote:

Gunner

So are they gonna put a $20 gold piece on your watch chain and bury you
in your high top Stetson hat?

(with apologies to "St. James Infirmary")

Mac

With my .45 cocked and locked, and one up the spout, in my Good
holster.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
jim rozen

In article , Al A. says...

You are right, Jim, neither option is very palatable. That must have
been tough on your mom. I guess that if you keep you mind but your
body fails, it is agony for you. If your mind fails and your body
holds up, it is agony for those around you. At this point, my mother
is healthy and blissfully unaware of her condition. The blessing in it
all is that she smiles and laughs, though none of us know about what!
She is not one of those poor folks who lays about the place crying
that they want to go home or whatever.

That was really sobering. There was one lady who did that *every*
night. Each night it was a different catch phrase but it happened
over and over again. The staff had immense patience.

That is the one single thing that impressed me the most about the
summer's experience, no matter how bad things got, no matter
what was coming uncorked, I never did meet any heath care professional
who was not well-intentioned and doing their level headed best
to do a good job at whatever they were responsible for. There were
no malevolent forces, only differing degrees of competence.

The name of the game was to maximize the competence factor apparently.

The healthcare system in the US is a pretty complex device, in more
than one way.

Jim

please reply to:

Dave Hinz

wrote:

So are they gonna put a $20 gold piece on your watch chain and bury you
in your high top Stetson hat?

With my .45 cocked and locked, and one up the spout, in my Good
holster.

Surely you wouldn't get buried with a _good_ .45, Gunner. Have it sent
to me; I'll send back something more suitable, and you won't mind a bit.
Jim McGill

Gunner wrote:

With my .45 cocked and locked, and one up the spout, in my Good
holster.

Gunner

Reminds me of an old Playboy cartoon of two angels watching another one
cruise by in a sports car with a babe at his side and one saying to the
other "Me too. I just assumed you couldn't take it with you."
Tom Gardner

"Gunner" wrote in message
With my .45 cocked and locked, and one up the spout, in my Good
holster.

Gunner

Sell me your .45 for twice what it's worth and I'll leave a check in your
box.

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:05:45 GMT, Tom Gardner wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
With my .45 cocked and locked, and one up the spout, in my Good
holster.

Gunner

Sell me your .45 for twice what it's worth and I'll leave a check in your
box.

Post-dated, no doubt...

Gunner

wrote:

So are they gonna put a $20 gold piece on your watch chain and bury you
in your high top Stetson hat?

With my .45 cocked and locked, and one up the spout, in my Good
holster.

Surely you wouldn't get buried with a _good_ .45, Gunner. Have it sent
to me; I'll send back something more suitable, and you won't mind a bit.

Ive others. Ill put you on my bequeth list. This one has been my
daily companion for over 30 yrs, and will continue to be for hopefully
at least that long in the future.. Perferably 3x that long..but..shrug

Gunner, a firm believer in the Viking Funeral concept.

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:56:01 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On 21 Sep 2005 14:31:54 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Ive others. Ill put you on my bequeth list. This one has been my
daily companion for over 30 yrs, and will continue to be for hopefully
at least that long in the future.. Perferably 3x that long..but..shrug

Thanks, uncle Gunner!

Gunner, a firm believer in the Viking Funeral concept.

Yeah. About that...my mom wants one of those when the time is
appropriate, and I don't have the first clue on how to pull it off
without seriously angering some authorities or others. I wonder if
Norway would be open to it, or maybe Orkney?

Tom Gardner

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
Say, he must have been a real character, judging by your posts. ;-)
Got any anecdotes? There's a cold Guinness in the fridge and I'm
looking for a good reason to pop it open.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

We have a zillion stories that we have been telling for days and laughing so
hard it hurts.

Spehro Pefhany

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 03:37:48 GMT, the renowned "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
Say, he must have been a real character, judging by your posts. ;-)
Got any anecdotes? There's a cold Guinness in the fridge and I'm
looking for a good reason to pop it open.

We have a zillion stories that we have been telling for days and laughing so
hard it hurts.

Excellent. That's what I hope for when my time comes.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Gunner

On 21 Sep 2005 17:43:58 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:56:01 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On 21 Sep 2005 14:31:54 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Ive others. Ill put you on my bequeth list. This one has been my
daily companion for over 30 yrs, and will continue to be for hopefully
at least that long in the future.. Perferably 3x that long..but..shrug

Thanks, uncle Gunner!

Gunner, a firm believer in the Viking Funeral concept.

Yeah. About that...my mom wants one of those when the time is
appropriate, and I don't have the first clue on how to pull it off
without seriously angering some authorities or others. I wonder if
Norway would be open to it, or maybe Orkney?

She going to have Liberals bound and gagged at her feet to escort her
to hell?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner

wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
With my .45 cocked and locked, and one up the spout, in my Good
holster.

Gunner

Sell me your .45 for twice what it's worth and I'll leave a check in your
box.

Which one? I have 11

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Tom Gardner

" Which one? I have 11

Gunner

Send me a 1911 shooter that you won't care if I drill a few holes in it for
a red-dot. I don't want your "Sunday-go-to-church" gun

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 06:36:54 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On 21 Sep 2005 17:43:58 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:56:01 GMT, Gunner wrote:

Gunner, a firm believer in the Viking Funeral concept.

Yeah. About that...my mom wants one of those when the time is
appropriate, and I don't have the first clue on how to pull it off
without seriously angering some authorities or others. I wonder if
Norway would be open to it, or maybe Orkney?

She going to have Liberals bound and gagged at her feet to escort her
to hell?

Heh... I'll mention that to her,she'll love it. But, seriously, where
can you pull off the flaming funeral ship send-off and not get in
trouble?

Dave Hinz

Dave Hinz

wrote:

Sell me your .45 for twice what it's worth and I'll leave a check in your
box.

Which one? I have 11

OK, so 5 for Tom, 5 for me, and one for your hip. Seems fair. But,
then how will I know which of my 8 to shoot?

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:41:09 GMT, Tom Gardner wrote:

Send me a 1911 shooter that you won't care if I drill a few holes in it for
a red-dot. I don't want your "Sunday-go-to-church" gun

Tom,

My dad just came home from a gun show and expressed his thoughts that he
really shouldn't have had his Gold Cup drilled & tapped all those years
ago...didn't want to give details but his eyes had "that look".

No point in setting up a separate slide for your scope mount, the best
solution as you say is to build up another one. Essex frames aren't
horrible, and with Wilson Combat components you can build a nice 1911
for not too much hassle. You can even go surplus USGI if you enjoy
fitting. I think I used a milsurp USGI slide, barrel, and bushing. Not
too horribly many hours later, I have a nice 1911 that works just fine,
nice tight slide, and good lug engagement. Good winter project
if nothing else.

Dave Hinz

Gunner

On 22 Sep 2005 15:01:28 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 06:36:54 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On 21 Sep 2005 17:43:58 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:56:01 GMT, Gunner wrote:

Gunner, a firm believer in the Viking Funeral concept.

Yeah. About that...my mom wants one of those when the time is
appropriate, and I don't have the first clue on how to pull it off
without seriously angering some authorities or others. I wonder if
Norway would be open to it, or maybe Orkney?

She going to have Liberals bound and gagged at her feet to escort her
to hell?

Heh... I'll mention that to her,she'll love it. But, seriously, where
can you pull off the flaming funeral ship send-off and not get in
trouble?

Dave Hinz

You really dont have to tell the authorities, until after the fact.
And then what are they gonna do? Your dead. They gonna proscecute ya?

GUnner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Gunner

wrote:

Sell me your .45 for twice what it's worth and I'll leave a check in your
box.

Which one? I have 11

OK, so 5 for Tom, 5 for me, and one for your hip. Seems fair. But,
then how will I know which of my 8 to shoot?

You shoot the .41 Magnum of course.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:32:35 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On 22 Sep 2005 15:01:28 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Heh... I'll mention that to her,she'll love it. But, seriously, where
can you pull off the flaming funeral ship send-off and not get in
trouble?

You really dont have to tell the authorities, until after the fact.
And then what are they gonna do? Your dead. They gonna proscecute ya?

Now wait just a damn minute. I'm not planning on being on the flaming
boat _with her_; I'll be the guy on shore with plenty of evidence around
me. I've got a couple Norwegian friends staying over for the next
couple weeks, and they live right on Lake Mj/osa - largest lake in
Norway, and probably host to events of that sort for 1200 years off and
on. I should ask them what the deal is over there.

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:33:29 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On 22 Sep 2005 15:02:26 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

OK, so 5 for Tom, 5 for me, and one for your hip. Seems fair. But,
then how will I know which of my 8 to shoot?

You shoot the .41 Magnum of course.

Ooooh, I don't have one of those. (thinks)...I wonder how that
happened? OK, after the 1927A1, _then_ something in .41 Mag. But, the
Thompson first, definately.
Gunner

On 22 Sep 2005 15:59:41 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:32:35 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On 22 Sep 2005 15:01:28 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Heh... I'll mention that to her,she'll love it. But, seriously, where
can you pull off the flaming funeral ship send-off and not get in
trouble?

You really dont have to tell the authorities, until after the fact.
And then what are they gonna do? Your dead. They gonna proscecute ya?

Now wait just a damn minute. I'm not planning on being on the flaming
boat _with her_; I'll be the guy on shore with plenty of evidence around
me. I've got a couple Norwegian friends staying over for the next
couple weeks, and they live right on Lake Mj/osa - largest lake in
Norway, and probably host to events of that sort for 1200 years off and
on. I should ask them what the deal is over there.

Notice the Liberals are still gagged and tied as the ship burns.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner

On 22 Sep 2005 15:29:12 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

[...]

Buy a ParaOrd double stack frame and build on it.

Stick a AMT Hardballer slide on it...

Thats my #2 gun.
14+1 rounds of 230gr Gold dots that will shoot into a 2" circle at 50
yrds all day