On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:03:07 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I've got this silly idea for a design using bicycle spokes. I can't measure this
thread and I don't know metric threads very well at all. I do have a real cheapo
shadowgraph style optical comparator, and was able to get what I believe is a
usable picture. The scale shown is millimeters, and it appears there are either
20 or 21 threads per 10mm, don't know which to count as #1. The spoke threads
mic at .078" which is real close to 2mm. Not that I have a die this size, but
can anyone ID this thread and explain how to do it? See the image:
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/temp/spokeThreads.jpg

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

You want a thread roller. I suspect you have a 2mmX.5 thread.
You can not effectively cut threads that small on a wire spoke, but a
rolled thread is simple, and a lot stronger. A good motorcycle shop
should be able to do the job for you - sounds a bit heavier than the
standard bicycle spoke.