Grant Erwin

Default help ID bicycle spoke threads?

I've got this silly idea for a design using bicycle spokes. I can't measure this
thread and I don't know metric threads very well at all. I do have a real cheapo
shadowgraph style optical comparator, and was able to get what I believe is a
usable picture. The scale shown is millimeters, and it appears there are either
20 or 21 threads per 10mm, don't know which to count as #1. The spoke threads
mic at .078" which is real close to 2mm. Not that I have a die this size, but
can anyone ID this thread and explain how to do it? See the image:
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/temp/spokeThreads.jpg

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:03:07 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I've got this silly idea for a design using bicycle spokes. I can't measure this
thread and I don't know metric threads very well at all. I do have a real cheapo
shadowgraph style optical comparator, and was able to get what I believe is a
usable picture. The scale shown is millimeters, and it appears there are either
20 or 21 threads per 10mm, don't know which to count as #1. The spoke threads
mic at .078" which is real close to 2mm. Not that I have a die this size, but
can anyone ID this thread and explain how to do it? See the image:
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/temp/spokeThreads.jpg

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

You want a thread roller. I suspect you have a 2mmX.5 thread.
You can not effectively cut threads that small on a wire spoke, but a
rolled thread is simple, and a lot stronger. A good motorcycle shop
should be able to do the job for you - sounds a bit heavier than the
standard bicycle spoke.
Grant Erwin

jtaylor wrote:

"Grant Erwin" wrote
can anyone ID this thread and explain how to do it? See the image:
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/temp/spokeThreads.jpg

2-56

Bingo! Should have thought of that. I did in fact have a 2-56 die, and I was
able to extend the thread like I needed to. Wow, that was quick.

Some time ago I saw a design for a tool to center a punchmarked piece in the
4-jaw on a lathe. The guy made a shank which clamped a piece of rubber sheet
vertically in his toolpost, exposed on both sides. There was a tiny hole in the
sheet and through this he inserted a bicycle spoke with a spoke nipple threaded
way on, flange towards the rubber. Then another spoke nipple threaded onto the
end sticking through the rubber, and another spoke threaded into the second
nipple. The effect was to suspend two spokes roughly in alignment with the lathe
axis, mounted on a rubber sheet. He cut down the spoke towards the headstock to
about 1", and sharpened it, and the other spoke he cut off at about 10", and he
sharpened it too. To use it, you catch the short end in your punchmark, spin the
lathe, and adjust your 4-jaw until the far end ran true, pointing right at a
center in the tailstock. There's a 10-1 magnification factor. Sounded real easy
to make, but I never knew anything about bicycle spokes. Until today, that is.
It's a piece of cake to thread 2 spokes and 2 spoke nipples together so the
flanges meet, and it would be real easy to tighten this over a piece of
innertube about the size of a postage stamp.

I'm going to make this, and I'll post pix when I'm done. Might be soon, might be
5 years from now (my queue is l-o-o-o-n-g) but I'll get to it, hopefully before
I need it.

Toughest part's going to be straightening the spokes, which aren't particularly
straight.

Anyone remember the exact source for this design? I'm sure it was either HSM or
PIM but I can't find it.

GWE
Jeff Wisnia

Grant Erwin wrote:

jtaylor wrote:

"Grant Erwin" wrote

[...]

These were more common when I was younger, but "tailor made" ones are
still available new:

http://www.omwcorp.com/prod_ctw.shtml

But if it was me, I'd also make my own and save 30 bux plus shipping.
More fun and satisfaction that way, and little chance of screwing it up. :-)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

[...]

Wouldn't it be easier to use (and maybe to make) if you drilled out a block
sized to fit in your toolpost, and glued the wiggler (centered) inside the
hole with a little RTV silicone?

You don't need heaps of flexibility, since the wiggler ordinarily wouldn't
make excursions of more than a couple of degrees. The mounting system would
be conducive to quick setup and teardown, and could be adjusted to
near-center easily and quickly with no more tools than it takes to mount a
cutting tool.

LLoyd

Ted Edwards

jtaylor wrote:
mic at .078" which is real close to 2mm. Not that I have a die this size,

2-56

2-56 has a nominal diameter of 0.086" (0.060+2x0.013).

Ted

jtaylor

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message
jtaylor wrote:
mic at .078" which is real close to 2mm. Not that I have a die this

size,

2-56

2-56 has a nominal diameter of 0.086" (0.060+2x0.013).

Cycle threads are rolled; the unthreaded spoke diameter could well be .078.

Grant Erwin

jtaylor wrote:

mic at .078" which is real close to 2mm. Not that I have a die this

size,

2-56

2-56 has a nominal diameter of 0.086" (0.060+2x0.013).

Cycle threads are rolled; the unthreaded spoke diameter could well be .078.

My spokes have a rolled thread. They are 2mm x 56 tpi which is a hybrid thread,
but I was able to use a 2-56 die to increase the thread length on one spoke
which was all I needed to do.

GWE