Mike Young

wrote in message
oups.com...
Mach3 will go as high as 45 kHz

That's low IMO, you mean there isn't anything out there approaching
100kHz?

To clarify, I am not aware of faster speeds. Available step rate is so not
the limiting factor on my setup. Unless you're talking about something else
entirely, of course.

although I can't imagine why. Mechanical
resonance limits practical speeds to below 25 kHz.

Typically, the same software is used by step compatible servo drives.
Example, a 4X only servo drive (Gecko 320 for example) driving a 2600
RPM DC motor with a 500 CPR encoder mounted on the motor shaft needs a
step rate of 88kHz in order for the motor to reach maximum speed.
Resonance is a non-issue.

Sure, if you can get 2600 rpm into your system. Mechanical resonance
overwhelms steppers at about 1600 rpm. What are you looking at that it
becomes a "non-issue"? I had heard, I think, about the 320's adaptive
micro-stepping. If it's that effective, I might give it a shot. 300 ipm
seems plenty, but faster is always gooderer.

As for step rate on a PC, EMC runs on RTLinux. Dunno why it thinks it needs
realtime to run a few simple steppers, but maybe worth looking at for your
application.