Default CNC software highest step rate

Hi,

What's the highest step frequency one can expect from popular CNC
software these days? 100kHz? 200kHz?

Mike Young

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

What's the highest step frequency one can expect from popular CNC
software these days? 100kHz? 200kHz?

Mach3 will go as high as 45 kHz, although I can't imagine why. Mechanical
resonance limits practical speeds to below 25 kHz.

Mach3 will go as high as 45 kHz

That's low IMO, you mean there isn't anything out there approaching
100kHz?

although I can't imagine why. Mechanical
resonance limits practical speeds to below 25 kHz.

Typically, the same software is used by step compatible servo drives.
Example, a 4X only servo drive (Gecko 320 for example) driving a 2600
RPM DC motor with a 500 CPR encoder mounted on the motor shaft needs a
step rate of 88kHz in order for the motor to reach maximum speed.
Resonance is a non-issue.

Mike Young

wrote in message
oups.com...
Mach3 will go as high as 45 kHz

That's low IMO, you mean there isn't anything out there approaching
100kHz?

To clarify, I am not aware of faster speeds. Available step rate is so not
the limiting factor on my setup. Unless you're talking about something else
entirely, of course.

although I can't imagine why. Mechanical
resonance limits practical speeds to below 25 kHz.

Typically, the same software is used by step compatible servo drives.
Example, a 4X only servo drive (Gecko 320 for example) driving a 2600
RPM DC motor with a 500 CPR encoder mounted on the motor shaft needs a
step rate of 88kHz in order for the motor to reach maximum speed.
Resonance is a non-issue.

Sure, if you can get 2600 rpm into your system. Mechanical resonance
overwhelms steppers at about 1600 rpm. What are you looking at that it
becomes a "non-issue"? I had heard, I think, about the 320's adaptive
micro-stepping. If it's that effective, I might give it a shot. 300 ipm
seems plenty, but faster is always gooderer.

As for step rate on a PC, EMC runs on RTLinux. Dunno why it thinks it needs
realtime to run a few simple steppers, but maybe worth looking at for your
application.

Andrew Werby

"Mike Young" wrote in message
.. .
wrote in message
oups.com...
Mach3 will go as high as 45 kHz

That's low IMO, you mean there isn't anything out there approaching
100kHz?

To clarify, I am not aware of faster speeds. Available step rate is so not
the limiting factor on my setup. Unless you're talking about something
else entirely, of course.

[If you really want a higher step pulse rate, you could get a G-101 "G-rex"
board from Geckodrive. They claim to put out over 4 million step pulses per
second: http://www.geckodrive.com/manuals/G101%20Features.pdf ]

although I can't imagine why. Mechanical
resonance limits practical speeds to below 25 kHz.

Typically, the same software is used by step compatible servo drives.
Example, a 4X only servo drive (Gecko 320 for example) driving a 2600
RPM DC motor with a 500 CPR encoder mounted on the motor shaft needs a
step rate of 88kHz in order for the motor to reach maximum speed.
Resonance is a non-issue.

Sure, if you can get 2600 rpm into your system. Mechanical resonance
overwhelms steppers at about 1600 rpm. What are you looking at that it
becomes a "non-issue"? I had heard, I think, about the 320's adaptive
micro-stepping. If it's that effective, I might give it a shot. 300 ipm
seems plenty, but faster is always gooderer.

[It's a non-issue because it's driving a servo motor; they don't have the
same resonance problems as steppers. While the control can send the same
step/direction signals that control steppers, the 320 drives will accept
those and convert them to something servos can run with. 2600 rpm motors
usually require some belt reduction to be useful in a CNC system, though. ]

As for step rate on a PC, EMC runs on RTLinux. Dunno why it thinks it
needs realtime to run a few simple steppers, but maybe worth looking at
for your application.

[Realtime is necessary to avoid having your milling job disrupted when the
OS decides to reshuffle its memory, or do other "housekeeping" functions.
Mach2 gets around this by infecting Windows like a virus, to grab first
priority for step pulsing. Most other Windows-based systems, like
Flashcut's, use a dedicated pulse generator of some sort, instead of forcing
the computer to do it.]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

Martin H. Eastburn

How about inches / sec
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Tim Killian wrote:
What do you mean by step rate? Instructions/sec?

wrote:

Hi,

What's the highest step frequency one can expect from popular CNC
software these days? 100kHz? 200kHz?

Ian Kirby

What's the highest step frequency one can expect from popular CNC
software these days? 100kHz? 200kHz?

If you want to look at a complete system with high performance, check
out
http://www.cncteknix.com They have controllers which can handle
40,000 steps/sec per channel (max 4 channels), with high current
capability, and G-code interpreter all included.
Regards, Ian Kirby.
DoN. Nichols

According to Mike Young :
wrote in message
oups.com...

[ ... ]

although I can't imagine why. Mechanical
resonance limits practical speeds to below 25 kHz.

Typically, the same software is used by step compatible servo drives.
Example, a 4X only servo drive (Gecko 320 for example) driving a 2600
RPM DC motor with a 500 CPR encoder mounted on the motor shaft needs a
step rate of 88kHz in order for the motor to reach maximum speed.
Resonance is a non-issue.

Sure, if you can get 2600 rpm into your system. Mechanical resonance
overwhelms steppers at about 1600 rpm. What are you looking at that it
becomes a "non-issue"?

Apparently -- a *non*-stepper fed from something which thinks that
it is driving a stepper. Feed the steps that fast and the servo will be
moving smoothly, instead of jumping and stopping to excite resonances.

I had heard, I think, about the 320's adaptive
micro-stepping. If it's that effective, I might give it a shot. 300 ipm
seems plenty, but faster is always gooderer.

As for step rate on a PC, EMC runs on RTLinux. Dunno why it thinks it needs
realtime to run a few simple steppers, but maybe worth looking at for your
application.

EMC runs on a real-time kernel because it can *also* talk to
analog servo motors, with encoders giving feedback as to the actual
position, which I think is more interrupt intensive than driving a
stepper. You've got three axes all reporting change of position at the
same time (sometimes), and updates to the D/A converters to reset the
servo speed to compensate for load or whatever, and possible interrupts
from the limit switches as well. You want to give those limit switches
very high priority so it can stop things before you hit a hard stop and
damage the ballscrews and nuts or something else.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Mike Young

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
EMC runs on a real-time kernel because it can *also* talk to
analog servo motors, with encoders giving feedback as to the actual
position, which I think is more interrupt intensive than driving a
stepper. You've got three axes all reporting change of position at the
same time (sometimes), and updates to the D/A converters to reset the
servo speed to compensate for load or whatever, and possible interrupts
from the limit switches as well. You want to give those limit switches
very high priority so it can stop things before you hit a hard stop and
damage the ballscrews and nuts or something else.

I'd been curious about that. Why are the limit switches not typically
hardwired to disable the drive, but rather simply reports impending crisis
to the software? It seems something already has gone wrong by that time.

So, EMC can run closed loop directly without additional hardware support?
(Beyond power drivers for the stepper, that is. ?) That's something, given
that old PC's are essentially freebies. It would seem a perfect waste of
computational resources otherwise. Replacing Gecko 320's, for example, with
simple drivers would be a pretty big savings for the hobbyist.

In general, are servos considerably different from a stepper with an
encoder?

If you want to look at a complete system with high performance

Not really. Just wanted to know the highest step frequency one can
expect from popular CNC software these days. Looks as though it's
DeskCNC at 125 kHz because it uses the serial instead of parallel port.
You'll need a compatible controller in order to get the needed step and
direction outputs so it's really a software/hardware combo like other
pulse generation schemes mentioned except probably more costly with
even lower step rate.

oparr

Replacing Gecko 320's, for example, with simple drivers would be a pretty
big savings for the hobbyist.

Let's make certain we're on the same page first.....The Gecko 320 is a DC
servo drive. Besides cost, its 4X only support is another limitation for the
hobbyist who is likely to be looking at surplus DC motors. I bought one for
evaluation and concluded it was not the drive for me. Instead, I went with
simple microcontroller based drives with both 1X and 4X support at about
half the price. So if we 're talking about the same Gecko drive then simpler
and cheaper drives already exist.

"Mike Young" wrote in message
t...

Eric R Snow

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:46:13 GMT, "oparr" wrote:

Replacing Gecko 320's, for example, with simple drivers would be a pretty
big savings for the hobbyist.

Let's make certain we're on the same page first.....The Gecko 320 is a DC
servo drive. Besides cost, its 4X only support is another limitation for the
hobbyist who is likely to be looking at surplus DC motors. I bought one for
evaluation and concluded it was not the drive for me. Instead, I went with
simple microcontroller based drives with both 1X and 4X support at about
half the price. So if we 're talking about the same Gecko drive then simpler
and cheaper drives already exist.

"Mike Young" wrote in message
et...

Greetings Oparr,
What do you mean by only 4X support. What are 1X and 4X? And why would
4X only be a problem with surplus motors? I have bought 3 of these
drivers and the specs seem to me like they will work with the servo
motors & encoders I already have and the step and direction software I
have.
Eric
Eric R Snow

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:46:13 GMT, "oparr" wrote:
Oparr,
I forgot to ask what the cheaper drives are that you have found. I
will be building a positioning table for plasma cutting this winter if
time permits. Less expensive drives would be nice.
Eric

Replacing Gecko 320's, for example, with simple drivers would be a pretty
big savings for the hobbyist.

Let's make certain we're on the same page first.....The Gecko 320 is a DC
servo drive. Besides cost, its 4X only support is another limitation for the
hobbyist who is likely to be looking at surplus DC motors. I bought one for
evaluation and concluded it was not the drive for me. Instead, I went with
simple microcontroller based drives with both 1X and 4X support at about
half the price. So if we 're talking about the same Gecko drive then simpler
and cheaper drives already exist.

"Mike Young" wrote in message
et...

DoN. Nichols

According to Mike Young :
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
EMC runs on a real-time kernel because it can *also* talk to
analog servo motors, with encoders giving feedback as to the actual
position, which I think is more interrupt intensive than driving a
stepper. You've got three axes all reporting change of position at the
same time (sometimes), and updates to the D/A converters to reset the
servo speed to compensate for load or whatever, and possible interrupts
from the limit switches as well. You want to give those limit switches
very high priority so it can stop things before you hit a hard stop and
damage the ballscrews and nuts or something else.

I'd been curious about that. Why are the limit switches not typically
hardwired to disable the drive, but rather simply reports impending crisis
to the software? It seems something already has gone wrong by that time.

I agree in general -- the axis should be disabled in hardware --
at least in the direction towards that stop -- but it is also possible
that other moves are happening at the same time, and you want the
controller told at the earliest opportunity to *stop* right now!. :-)

As for having the hardware limit switches disable *all* motion
at once, this is a bit of a problem with a machine designed from scratch
as CNC. I used an Anilam retrofit on a Bridgeport clone mill at work
some years ago, and whenever someone managed to hit a limit, the whole
controller locked up until you grabbed the appropriate handwheel (and
there was not even an indication of which one hit the stop, so if more
than one axis was close to the stops you had to tweak them all), and
then you hit the reset button to regain control.

However, replace that with a machine designed from the ground up
for CNC (e.g. my old Bridgeport BOSS-3 machine -- and I believe all past
that at least up to the BOSS-6, and probably to the BOSS-8), and you
have *no* handwheels. The X, Y, and Z axis steppers (or servos for past
the BOSS-6) are the *only* thing which controls the axes. The Z-axis
you could grip the end of the motor spindle and back it off, but
everything else was buried under belt guards, and the X-axis was also
deep under the table, as instead of turning the leadscrew (which can
have whip at high speeds), it mounted the leadscrew rigidly, and turned
the ball nut in opposed bearings.

So -- with all electronics switched off by hitting a stop, you
wound up with needing to partially disassemble the mill to gain access
to something which could allow you to back off of the stop in question.

Now -- servo amplifiers come with sets of contacts to inhibit
motion in a single direction, so you can lock out the drive in the
direction which created the problem, but still allow backing away from
the stop using jog controls.

So, EMC can run closed loop directly without additional hardware support?

Indeed so. It is the only way to work when using real servos as
they are designed.

(Beyond power drivers for the stepper, that is. ?)

Stepper? This is with real servo motors, which need an
amplifier which sums the speed command voltage from the controller (a
Servo-to-go card in the PC in the case of EMC) with the tach generator
feedback from the motor to get a precise speed from the motor (and thus
from the axis), and the encoder is used to tell the controller exactly
where you are at the moment. The Servo-to-go card also handles that,
with a counter for each axis to deal with storing encoder pulses which
arrive when the controller software can't catch them, so it can update
when it can get back to things.

That's something, given
that old PC's are essentially freebies. It would seem a perfect waste of
computational resources otherwise. Replacing Gecko 320's, for example, with
simple drivers would be a pretty big savings for the hobbyist.

Well ... it depends on what you call "simple drivers". You need
an amplifier capable of producing say +/- 40 VDC at at +/- 7A to a
typical servo motor. And you need one per axis. I've gotten such servo
amplifiers at hamfests and from eBay auctions for quite reasonable
prices. But I consider it a pity that Gecko does not make a real servo
amplifier, with command voltage input for speed, and with inputs from a
tach generator for verification of the speed. They are more energy
efficient, since they are running as switching mode regulators, instead
of the analog pass transistors used in the servo amps which I have
gotten. Each amp has its own Rotron muffin fan and big heatsink to keep
the output transistors cool. (And its own transformer and power
supply.) There are switching mode servo amps available which run from a
common power supply, but they are still quite a bit more expensive than
the servo amps which I have.

The fact that you can set a speed command voltage to the servo
amp and get a steady speed from the servo motor is why resonance is not
a problem at high speeds with servo motors used as intended.

If the Gecko 320 is the one which drives servo motors (but
pretends that they are steppers), then it does nothing with the tach
feedback from the servo motor, and uses the encoder to tell which
"stepper motor step" it is at. Feeding it several steps very quickly
will increment a counter which is compared to another counter run from
the encoder which produces a voltage to drive the servo motor in the
intended direction until the count from the encoder catches up. At
certain speeds, you have the servo motor moving at pulsing speeds, just
like the stepper that it is pretending to be, and thus have the
resonance problem again.

If the Gecko were to honor the tach feedback, it could run at a
smooth speed even with step pulses as input. One pluse behind gets a
command voltage of 1mV. Two pulses gets 4mV, three pulses gets 16mV and
so on, so the motor would speed up as needed to catch up, instead of
having to try to run at full speed for a single pulse of offset.

In general, are servos considerably different from a stepper with an
encoder?

Considerably so. I think that I have covered most of it above,
in answering the other points. Note that I've taken a DC servo motor
and amplifier, and set it up so 10VDC input is full speed from the
motor, and then set the voltage down to 0.0001 V (the smallest that I
could repeatably produce from the power supply in question), and had to
stick some tape to the output shaft of the motor (sort of like a flag),
and spend some time watching before I could even be sure that it was
moving. So -- with the speed command, you can get a much smoother
surface when cutting a shallow angle than you can with steppers. Well
-- micro-stepping might come close, but it takes a lot more work from
the controller -- each micro-step has to be generated, instead of simply
outputting a voltage proportional to the desired feed in that axis, and
checking every so often that it was where it should be. If not , tweak
the command voltage a bit until it is running at precisely the speed you
want. The other axes will be running at their own commanded speeds to
give you a very smooth cut. (Yes, encoders will limit your resolution
for precise positions, but the slow motor motion will carry you through
the intervening spaces to eliminate major steps.) (In contrast, when I
tried to turn a Morse taper with my Compact-5/CNC lathe, I could see the
steps (which were 0.002" diameter). So -- someday, I intend to retrofit
the Compact-5 with servos and an EMC controller.

Note that the Gecko drive, with a servo motor, will still be
producing the steps, because it does not try for a steady-state speed.

I hope that this helps,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
oparr

What do you mean by only 4X support.

Typically, the incremental quadrature encoder has A and B channels with
pulses 90 degrees out of phase when rotating. Not only does this allow for
the decoding of direction information but also allows for a pulse rate four
times that of either channel. Hence the 4X.

If a servo drive only supports 4X then the step frequency required from
software to support any encoder RPM is;

(RPM/60)*CPR*4

If the encoder is mounted on the motor shaft as opposed to a driven shaft
geared down from the motor shaft then you have a worst case scenario in
terms of required software step rate. If the highest step rate from software
is less than the above when RPM is the maximum RPM of the motor then the
motor will never be able to reach top speed.

1X support will reduce the above requirement by a factor of four.

oparr

I forgot to ask what the cheaper drives are that you have found.

Follow the link below. Note the voltage and current limitations when
compared to the Gecko 320, they may not meet your requirements;

http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=11

oparr

At certain speeds, you have the servo motor moving at pulsing
speeds, just like the stepper that it is pretending to be, and
thus have the resonance problem again.

This is nonsense. At no time is the DC motor pretending to be anything. It
is being itself driven by a PWM voltage always. Anything resembling
resonance issues in steppers is due to either improper tuning or exceeding
the specifications of the system.

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
God is dividing by zero ---

DoN. Nichols

According to oparr :
At certain speeds, you have the servo motor moving at pulsing
speeds, just like the stepper that it is pretending to be, and
thus have the resonance problem again.

This is nonsense. At no time is the DC motor pretending to be anything. It
is being itself driven by a PWM voltage always.

The DC servo motor *in combination with the Gecko drive* is
pretending to be a stepper motor. It accepts step and direction pulses
like a stepper driver does, and for each step, it puts out torque until
the encoder count matches the input pulse count. Thus, it has pulses of
torque, just as a stepper motor does.

Anything resembling
resonance issues in steppers is due to either improper tuning or exceeding
the specifications of the system.

How do you tune a servo whose drive electronics (the Gecko) pay
no attention to the tach generator? There is not even anywhere to
connect the tach generator.

It (the Gecko) is a package of electronics intended to make a
servo motor behave like a stepper motor, to allow using it with a
simpler controller. This is not what I need, as I intend to use the
servo motors as designed, with tach feedback and encoders, not the way
Gecko mis-uses them.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Mike Young

"oparr" wrote in message
Replacing Gecko 320's, for example, with simple drivers would be a pretty
big savings for the hobbyist.

Let's make certain we're on the same page first.....The Gecko 320 is a DC
servo drive. Besides cost, its 4X only support is another limitation for
the hobbyist who is likely to be looking at surplus DC motors. I bought
one for evaluation and concluded it was not the drive for me. Instead, I
went with simple microcontroller based drives with both 1X and 4X support
at about half the price. So if we 're talking about the same Gecko drive
then simpler and cheaper drives already exist.

Like Eric, I don't know what 4X and 1X are. Is that 4 microsteps vs. full
step? Something else?

Let's back all the way up. The original context was about EMC and its
ability to drive servos on the PC's parallel port. That's where the 320 came
in. Most PC software operate steppers in open-loop only: no encoder input,
and sends step and direction lines going out. The 320 reads the encoder
quadrature input, closing the loop. The encoder resolution has to match the
step size. That is, one encoder tick for each step or microstep. When they
get too far out of sync, the 320 signals a fault and then resets. The
original quote refers to replacing the 320's functionality with a freebie,
otherwise unused old PC running EMC, to run steppers in closed loop.

I know nothing about servos. Simplistically, I think of them as steppers
with a matched encoder. Probably too simplistic, but workable, since I don't
expect to ever want to pay the extra for whatever they bring.

I'm aware of other and cheaper drives, ranging from HobbyCNC's u-solder-it
4-axis $99 special, and up.

I'm not sure what it was you were trying to say.

Richard J Kinch

oparr writes:

http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=11

30 volts at 5 amps? Hopelessly underrated for most CNC applications.
Richard J Kinch

DoN. Nichols writes:

If the Gecko 320 is the one which drives servo motors (but
pretends that they are steppers), then it does nothing with the tach
feedback from the servo motor, and uses the encoder to tell which
"stepper motor step" it is at. Feeding it several steps very quickly
will increment a counter which is compared to another counter run from
the encoder which produces a voltage to drive the servo motor in the
intended direction until the count from the encoder catches up. At
certain speeds, you have the servo motor moving at pulsing speeds,
just like the stepper that it is pretending to be, and thus have the
resonance problem again.

This is speculative fantasy. Gecko controlled servos do not behave this
way. PID digital feedback yields smooth motion.

Note that the Gecko drive, with a servo motor, will still be
producing the steps, because it does not try for a steady-state speed.

More silliness. That's not how PID digital controls work.

The step/direction signals are simply a method of *communication*
between PC and controller. The motion does not exhibit stepping.

Your efficiency notion is also wrong. Geckos use PWM MOSFETs which are
very efficient. Heatsinks are hardly necessary for many high-power
applications.

Richard J Kinch

DoN. Nichols writes:

The DC servo motor *in combination with the Gecko drive* is
pretending to be a stepper motor. It accepts step and direction pulses
like a stepper driver does, and for each step, it puts out torque until
the encoder count matches the input pulse count. Thus, it has pulses of
torque, just as a stepper motor does.

Nonsense. You don't understand this device, and obviously have never used
one.
DoN. Nichols

According to Richard J Kinch :
DoN. Nichols writes:

The DC servo motor *in combination with the Gecko drive* is
pretending to be a stepper motor. It accepts step and direction pulses
like a stepper driver does, and for each step, it puts out torque until
the encoder count matches the input pulse count. Thus, it has pulses of
torque, just as a stepper motor does.

Nonsense. You don't understand this device, and obviously have never used
one.

O.K. I can't get through to the Gecko web page -- has the URL
changed, or have they gone out of business?

However, somewhere around here I have the saved PDF files of the
manuals for them. I could find no place for the connection of the
tachometer feedback wires from the servo motor, so it can't be paying
attention to the motor's velocity. It just moves it until the encoder
says that it has moved far enough, and then stops -- suddenly.

I've used servo amps, and know how they work.

The Gecko is *not* one of these. Not even the one of the four
models which is designed to work with servo motors.

In any case -- it is *not* what *I* need.

If you have more information to tell me otherwise, please post
it.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
DoN. Nichols

DoN. Nichols writes:

[...]

So -- what happens if you feed it a pulse, wait five seconds and
then feed it another pulse? Are you saying that it is going to
*predict* exactly when that second pulse will come, and will move at a
steady speed just right so when the second pulse comes it will be in
the right place? If so, it must have some rather impressive CPU power
built into it -- and I see no provisions for that.

Your efficiency notion is also wrong. Geckos use PWM MOSFETs which are
very efficient. Heatsinks are hardly necessary for many high-power
applications.

Here -- you are obviously misreading me. I did not claim that
the Gecko was energy inefficient. Instead, I was saying that the
*analog* servo amplifiers which *I* have and use are energy inefficient,
and I had hoped that Gecko would have come out with a *real* servo
amplifier using PWM drivers. They have so far disappointed me in that
hope.

DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
DoN. Nichols

According to Mike Young :
"oparr" wrote in message
Replacing Gecko 320's, for example, with simple drivers would be a pretty
big savings for the hobbyist.

Let's make certain we're on the same page first.....The Gecko 320 is a DC
servo drive. Besides cost, its 4X only support is another limitation for
the hobbyist who is likely to be looking at surplus DC motors. I bought
one for evaluation and concluded it was not the drive for me. Instead, I
went with simple microcontroller based drives with both 1X and 4X support
at about half the price. So if we 're talking about the same Gecko drive
then simpler and cheaper drives already exist.

Like Eric, I don't know what 4X and 1X are. Is that 4 microsteps vs. full
step? Something else?

Let's back all the way up. The original context was about EMC and its
ability to drive servos on the PC's parallel port.

While the EMC can drive servos through the PC's parallel port,
with the help of the Gecko 320, that was not what I was talking about.
The use of the servos and amplifiers which I was talking about involves
the Servo-to-go card, which was priced at $888.00 when I got it, for an
ICA bus socket. That contains lots of buffered I/O connections of
various sorts, plus one D/A converter per axis (and the $888.00
version can handle up to eight axes). To set the speed, the computer
writes a value to the D/A which converts it from the computer's
"D"igtal numbers to an "A"nalog voltage, which commands the servo
amplifier to run the servo motor at a selected speed.

The Servo-to-go keeps track of the encoder position to let the
computer tell whether the speed that it set was correct. If not, the
computer can make corrections in time to avoid problems.

That's where the 320 came
in. Most PC software operate steppers in open-loop only: no encoder input,
and sends step and direction lines going out. The 320 reads the encoder
quadrature input, closing the loop. The encoder resolution has to match the
step size. That is, one encoder tick for each step or microstep. When they
get too far out of sync, the 320 signals a fault and then resets. The
original quote refers to replacing the 320's functionality with a freebie,
otherwise unused old PC running EMC, to run steppers in closed loop.

The loop closing with the EMC card and servo motors (*not*
steppers) closes the loop through the computer, so the computer need not
take it on faith that just because it told it to go so far, that it has
actually accomplished that -- unlike with steppers, where trying to run
too fast in the face of a load will cause it to miss steps. And trying
to run even slow in the face of a serious load will still cause it to
miss steps.

I know nothing about servos. Simplistically, I think of them as steppers
with a matched encoder. Probably too simplistic, but workable, since I don't
expect to ever want to pay the extra for whatever they bring.

Think of them as a motor, with an encoder (though that may be on
the machine axis, telling where it *really* is), *and* a tachometer
generator which produces a voltage proportional to the motor's speed.
Thus, when the servo amp receives a voltage saying to go so-and-so fast,
it has a way of telling whether the motor is doing that. The servo amp
combines the speed command voltage with the feedback voltage from the
tach generator, and amplifies the *difference* between them to produce a
voltage to the motor's armature. The amplifier has a lot of gain, so it
does not take much difference to produce a lot of output. The amplifier
is a high-power version of an operational amplifier -- designed for
summing signals.

To my mind, a motor with an encoder, but *not* a tach generator
is not a servo motor. (Though the Gecko drive can work as well with it
as it does with one with a tach generator, as it ignores the tach
generator -- it does not even have terminals to connect them to.) Since
it is PWM, it can sort of work around that, by measuring the voltage
during the intervals when it is not actually pumping current into the
motor, but this is not as precise a means of control.

I'm aware of other and cheaper drives, ranging from HobbyCNC's u-solder-it
4-axis $99 special, and up.

I'm not sure what it was you were trying to say.

Well ... at least you have what *I* was trying to say above.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Ned Simmons

In article , says...

I'd been curious about that. Why are the limit switches not typically
hardwired to disable the drive, but rather simply reports impending crisis
to the software? It seems something already has gone wrong by that time.

I agree in general -- the axis should be disabled in hardware --
at least in the direction towards that stop -- but it is also possible
that other moves are happening at the same time, and you want the
controller told at the earliest opportunity to *stop* right now!. :-)

snip

Now -- servo amplifiers come with sets of contacts to inhibit
motion in a single direction, so you can lock out the drive in the
direction which created the problem, but still allow backing away from
the stop using jog controls.

The problem with simply disabling the amp when approaching a limit is
that the motor will then coast. This may not be a problem at low
velocity if there's plenty of room between the switch and a hard stop,
but if the motor is heading balls-to-the-wall toward the end of travel,
disabling the amp isn't going to prevent a crash. Most dedicated motion
controllers have interrupt driven travel limits that do a better job at
getting the motor stopped quickly.

Stepper? This is with real servo motors, which need an
amplifier which sums the speed command voltage from the controller (a
Servo-to-go card in the PC in the case of EMC) with the tach generator
feedback from the motor to get a precise speed from the motor

snip

But I consider it a pity that Gecko does not make a real servo
amplifier, with command voltage input for speed, and with inputs from a
tach generator for verification of the speed.

snip

The fact that you can set a speed command voltage to the servo
amp and get a steady speed from the servo motor is why resonance is not
a problem at high speeds with servo motors used as intended.

Position control systems almost always run in torque (current) mode,
rather than velocity (voltage) mode. The amp is set up to output current
proportional to the command voltage.

Tachs haven't been used for many years on servos, the exception being
velocity control apps where an exceptionally wide speed range is
required. And even in those cases it's more common to see the tach
signal being synthesized from an encoder output. Some mfrs offer an
option on their amps that'll take an encoder input and use it in a
velocity loop. This sort of thing is also available on four quadrant DC
drives and AC vector drives. You do have to be careful that the encoder
resolution is adequate at ultra low speeds.

Which brings us back to the point that positioning systems with digital
motion controllers run the amp in current mode, so there's no place for
a tach signal. The encoder is connected only to the controller, which
generates the command signal to the amp based on position error.

While I agree that the step and direction scheme that Gecko uses is a
less than ideal kludge for driving servos in a system that was designed
for steppers, I would still consider it a real servo amp. There's
nothing in the definition of a servo that dictates how the various
components communicate. In fact the first servos were mechanical, there
are plenty of servos that use proprietary links between the various
parts, and many more recent systems talk over standard communication
buses.

[...]

I gather from a quick look at the literature this isn't how the Gecko
amp operates. It appears the amp includes a PID loop that takes the
input pulses and generates a command that's a function of the position
error and the PID tuning. IOW, once it's tuned properly, it behaves as
you suggest it ought to. Moving the PID loop out of the controller,
where it's traditionally located, is really the key to controlling the
servo with a pulse train intended for driving a stepper.

Ned Simmons

Eric R Snow

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 01:20:18 GMT, "oparr" wrote:

I forgot to ask what the cheaper drives are that you have found.

Follow the link below. Note the voltage and current limitations when
compared to the Gecko 320, they may not meet your requirements;

http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=11

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
.. .

Thanks Oparr for both replies.
Eric

Hopelessly underrated for most CNC applications.

Correct! Hobbyist applications are only a small fraction of all CNC
applications.

I'm not sure what it was you were trying to say.

Based on your last post, I think it suffices to say that there is no
simple way under the sun you can use a Gecko 320 to drive a stepper
motor even if it was equipped with an encoder. Repeating....It is a DC
servo drive.

So -- what happens if you feed it a pulse, wait five seconds and
then feed it another pulse? Are you saying that it is going to
*predict* exactly when that second pulse will come, and will move at a
steady speed just right so when the second pulse comes it will be in
the right place? If so, it must have some rather impressive CPU power
built into it -- and I see no provisions for that.

Just about any motion control scheme should cause a jump in linear
postion based on a single step. I see where you are trying to go with
this so I'll save you the trouble. It is the **frequency** of the step
input that excites resonance in a stepper motor. The DC motor is
isolated from the **frequency** of the step input. The only
**frequency** the DC motor sees is the frequency of the PWM signal
applied to the controlling H-bridge. It is constant and bears no
relationship whatsoever to the step input **frequency**.

It is the duty cycle of the PWM signal that is varied in order to
provide a moving equilibrium between step input and encoder counts in
response to changes in step input **frequency**. The tuning of the DC
servo system will determine the behaviour of the movement mentioned. If
the **frequency** of the step input suddenly changes then the P & D
settings (aka gain and damping) are supposed to critically damp the
movement in a properly tuned system. An improperly tuned system can
break out into violent oscillations similar to a stepper in resonance.
Perhaps this is what you've seen and confused it with resonance.

The Gecko 320 is a full PID controller

There is no integral component.

Terry Nelson

Don,

I've looked at the Gecko 320, and it is a full servo, just with some severe
limitations.

It uses a stepper like interface in that you give it a direction and pulse
signal, which is actually
a pretty reasonable way to comunicate with a controller. As long as you
have a controller
that can run the pulse ramps (and keep track of them) it's pretty straight
forward. If fact there
are many low cost controllers that control in just this way.

The Gecko 320 is a full PID controller. The tach signal is derived by
looking at the rate
the encoder signal moves. This is reasonable IF the encoder is mounted on
the motor, but
really sucks if encoder is on the leadscrew, which is driven from a belt.
The extra element
in the servo path limits the optimal tuning that you can do.

I would like to upgrade my mill to a newer controller and was looking at
these. I couldn't
get near the stiffness out of the gecko's as my current system. Gecko has
the block diagram
for the 320 on their web site. If you are familiar with servo's it's pretty
straight forward.

As far as having "stepping", its not quite what you think. The Gecko 320
method has no
worse "stepping" as a servo done with EMC. Both are limited by the
discrete positions
of the encoder.

If anyone want to try out a 320 (I think that's the one I have), let me
know. Since it
won't work for me I need to move on to something else.

Terry

"oparr" wrote in message
[...]

mike

(DoN. Nichols) wrote in
:

DoN. Nichols writes:

[...]

The gecko doesn't use tachometer feedback. just quadrature encoder. The
gecko is intended to be used with a step direction controller, in the
hobby environment usually a PC running something like Turbocnc or
Mach2/3. The controller holds the characteristics of the axis including
acceleration rates and so calculates velocity and acceleration as well as
position. When a gcode line requires the axis to move from one position
to another the controller works out the move, F rate and acceleration
required and issues the step/direction pulse stream so that the axis
*smoothly* accelerates up to F rate and decelerates to stop at the
required position. Same with either steppers or servocs, the controller
does the work not the gecko. With either stepper or Servo there's no
*pulsing* of torque going on as a result of the 'stepping'. With steppers
at slower rates or poor resolution there can be resonance issues but
functionally the only significant difference is that steppers can loose
steps and position, servos don't and servos have a higher torque at
higher speeds.. that's it but at the same time $150 Gecko's are not a
'real' commercial equivalent to a $500,000 vmc, nor are they published as
servo amps using tachometers..
Terry Nelson

Correct, It's been a while since I looked at it.

Terry

wrote in message
oups.com...
The Gecko 320 is a full PID controller

There is no integral component.

Richard J Kinch

DoN. Nichols writes:

O.K. I can't get through to the Gecko web page -- has the URL
changed, or have they gone out of business?

Lately they have hosting problems. But from what I hear, their business
is galloping along.

I could find no place for the connection of the
tachometer feedback wires from the servo motor, so it can't be paying
attention to the motor's velocity. It just moves it until the encoder
says that it has moved far enough, and then stops -- suddenly.

No, not at all. You're speculating, and wrongly so.

You're confusing encoder quantization with stepper motor poles.

You're confusing step/dir communication with servo control.

You're don't appreciate that a digital position encoder can be digitally
differentiated to effect a digital tachometer or accelerometer.

Do some reading on digital servo feedback loops using PID control.

http://www.embedded.com/2000/0010/0010feat3.htm
Richard J Kinch

Hopelessly underrated for most CNC applications.

Correct! Hobbyist applications are only a small fraction of all CNC
applications.

I don't know of *any* metalworking machines that will scoot with such tiny
amounts power, unless you're gearing down to nothing. Maybe you're
suggesting PCB drills or wood routers that don't require much torque.

150 watts for $80, vs Gecko's 1600 watts for $120, I'd choose the latter.
The former is no bargain, per watt.

It *is* all about the oomph, you know. Why would a hobbyist hand-build a
car, and then put a lawnmower engine in it?