Anthony Berlin

Ultrasonic detection.....only way to go.

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"user" wrote in message
Hi Folks..

I'm having an issue with one of the AC systems in my house.. For some
reasons only the upstairs unit seems to be leaking freeon.. But I've had

tech come over, and check for leaks, using a device amde by
Infinicon-Tekmate, that emits a beeping sound when freeon is detected..
However, the tech wasn't able to detect any leaks using that.. Then he
tried using the bubble detector solution, but wasn't able to find any
leaks with that either.. He did this in both places, in the attic near

the
coil, and outside by opening the unit near the compressor..

He said that the only other place that the freeon could be leaking is in
the pipes from the upstairs unit to outside, which would involve

drilling
a hole in the wall, pulling the pipe out, and replacing, and then
repairing the whole in the wall..

However, when the tech replaces the freeon (with upto 2 pounds of

freeon),
the AC is ice cold again, and the last time he recharged it, it lasted

for
2 weeks. Hopefully this time it will last longer, and the summer in the
SouthEast will be over..

I've also replaced the filters and vacuumed the vents..

Has anyone seen this before.. where the freeon leaks over a period of

say
2 weeks, but can't be detected, and upon recharging, it works fine.. for
another 2 weeks. ?

If it's losing the charge that quick, then you need to call another

company
to find it and repair it. There are other ways other than using those
electrocnic "sniffers". Many of those give false (or no!) readings. I've

had
better luck with ultraviolet dye.....