user

Thanks..

Well.. the tech is working for a company that is certified. and so on..
But as to his reliability, I guess only time will tell.. unfortunately..

I didn't know that freeon had an odor.. I thought it was one of those
odorless gases..

Regarding whether the detector was working properly, the tech did
complain about the batteries, and so I replaced them with 2 new ones of
my one, that I just bought the day before, and it still have the same
results..

Thanks

Pop wrote:

That's a pretty well written description. IFF the tech was
reliable, then you have a leak in the walls, it seems funny he
wasn't able to detect it anywhere. If it's leaking into the
walls, there has to be an exit point for it and it'll be
detectable there.

If it's actually "freon" as you said, that has a pretty good odor
and at the loss rate you indicate, you should be able to smell it
yoruself, even.

How does he/you know, if the detector was functioning and being
used, correctly?

Also, if this is in the attic, I don't know why a hole would have
to be made in a wall. It should be pretty easy to pull out the
old and fish in a new pipe. IMO at least; no expert here, just
an avid diy'er.

Just my two cents; I know it isn't my money, but if I were you I
think I'd try another service and if they came up with the same
results, consider replacing what needs to be done. It's still
cheaper than paying housecalls for freon every two weeks in your
climate.

"user" wrote in message
: Hi Folks..
:
: I'm having an issue with one of the AC systems in my house..
For some
: reasons only the upstairs unit seems to be leaking freeon.. But
I've had
: a tech come over, and check for leaks, using a device amde by
: Infinicon-Tekmate, that emits a beeping sound when freeon is
detected..
: However, the tech wasn't able to detect any leaks using that..
Then he
: tried using the bubble detector solution, but wasn't able to
find any
: leaks with that either.. He did this in both places, in the
attic near
: the coil, and outside by opening the unit near the compressor..
:
: He said that the only other place that the freeon could be
leaking is in
: the pipes from the upstairs unit to outside, which would
involve
: drilling a hole in the wall, pulling the pipe out, and
replacing, and
: then repairing the whole in the wall..
:
: However, when the tech replaces the freeon (with upto 2 pounds
of
: freeon), the AC is ice cold again, and the last time he
recharged it, it
: lasted for 2 weeks. Hopefully this time it will last longer,
and the
: summer in the SouthEast will be over..
:
: I've also replaced the filters and vacuumed the vents..
:
: Has anyone seen this before.. where the freeon leaks over a
period of
: say 2 weeks, but can't be detected, and upon recharging, it
works fine..
: for another 2 weeks. ?
:
: Thanks in advance for your help..