Al A.

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:16:10 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

We buried my dad today after 4 years of home care after springing him and
mom from a nursing home. It was great! Lots of friends food and hooch and
we have a HUGE family. (Irish Catholic) The best part was the pastor at our
parish that presided over the Mass and burial had his fly open and his shirt
hanging out at the grave site...and of course, NOBODY would tell him, just
snicker. Dad would have LOVED it!!!

We cared for my mom at our home for over 4 years unitl she became
completly unable to move. She is an alzheimers paitent, and finally
got to the point where she was 100% bedridden. We hung on for 6
months, giving her 24 hour care unitl we simply could not do it
anymore. She would be unresponsive for days at a time. We where sure
she was dying and wanted her to do so at home. All the rest of my
family scattered. You sure learn who is for real and who isn't during
those sort of things. Exausted, we finally moved her to a nursing
facility up the road, a great place, where her physical heatlth
improved greatly. Her mind is pretty much not there anymore, but she
is being better taken care of than we could do. Still, every time we
visit, we still want to take her home.

It stinks to have your body outlive your mind.

So my condolances. it is refreshing to see folks with a good outlook
on the whole thing. Good for you for taking him out of the nursing
home and taking care of him. We've walked that path, you have my
respect. It really is the right thing to do, if it possible. When we
had my mom here, it was shocking to me to see how many of our
"friends" and relatives said things like "I don't know why your
keeping her here, she belongs in a home..."

-AL A.