Wayne Cook

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:58:11 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On 19 Sep 2005 11:03:55 -0700, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

There is also a chance that the plastics used are hyposcopic (they
absorb moisture). Does this calculator use a flex cable?

I'll bet you meant to write "hygroscopic". It's clear what you mean.

Another poster says it does. I wanted to try a non-invasive fix
before I drilled out the heat-staked posts that hold the case
together.

I forget where I'd heard about the problem before I broke into mine
but it does have a flexible connecter. The proper name escapes me but
I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Clear with traces on it.
This is held in sandwich with the display board, and the circuit board
by a piece of foam. A little corrosion on the contacts and it gets
flaky. Unfortunately a long cry from the old HP which went to great
lengths to make them reliable.

As stated before the only real problem is trying to get the keyboard
metal template off without hurting it. They glued that thing on very
well.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm