DoN. Nichols

According to jim rozen :
In article t, Lew Hartswick
says...

Aren't motorcycle transmissions gear changes by "dog clutches" ?

Most of them, yes. They're constant (gear) mesh, and are shifted
by sliding plates on one shaft over dogs that are on the side of
the gears.

Another place to see a dog clutch is the feed reversing gearbox
on an Atlas lathe.

Hmm ... that depends on *which* Atlas lathe. Certainly, my old
6x18" Atlas/Craftsman has the standard tumbler gears for feed reversal,
as does my Clausing 12x24".

Are you perhaps talking about the Craftsman "109" series lathe,
actually made by AA, IIRC? I understand that its feed is somewhat
strange -- and varies from decade to decade as well.

I think that a friend's Shoptask has a dog clutch in the feed
reverser, but I've not had the chance to take it apart, so I'm not
really sure.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564