cilorentson

Default Where can I see a 'dog clutch'? thanks

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"cilorentson" wrote in message

Where can I see a 'dog clutch'? thanks

One place is on a Great Dane truck. G

The other would be on a free-wheeling PTO clutch for old tractors with
'dead' PTOs.

LLoyd

Moray Cuthill

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
news

"cilorentson" wrote in message

Where can I see a 'dog clutch'? thanks

One place is on a Great Dane truck. G

The other would be on a free-wheeling PTO clutch for old tractors with
'dead' PTOs.

I'm not sure where you'd see a dog clutch on any modern equipment.
What I class as a dog clutch, is a clutch where two drive shafts lock into
each other (ie. it's either engaged or disengaged).
The most common one I can think off, is where each side of the clutch is
like a castelated nut, that engage into each other. They are a relativley
crude type of clutch, but are cheap, simple and effective.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Moray Cuthill" wrote in message

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in
message news
The other would be on a free-wheeling PTO clutch for old tractors with
'dead' PTOs.

I'm not sure where you'd see a dog clutch on any modern equipment.
What I class as a dog clutch, is a clutch where two drive shafts lock into
each other (ie. it's either engaged or disengaged).
The most common one I can think off, is where each side of the clutch is
like a castelated nut, that engage into each other. They are a relativley
crude type of clutch, but are cheap, simple and effective.

Ayup! Sorry, I was thinking of a "pawl" clutch on the tractor.

I have a dog clutch on my F.E. Reed lathe. It auto-releases the
longitudinal feed when the carriage hits your desired stop point.

LLoyd

Tim Wescott

cilorentson wrote:

Where can I see a 'dog clutch'? thanks

My Smithy 1/3 in one machine has a dog clutch that engages the power
feed/threading.

Take apart a synchromesh transmission -- the synchro rings are cone
clutches on one end and dog clutches on the other.

Arf arf.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Lew Hartswick

Moray Cuthill wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
news
"cilorentson" wrote in message
. ..

Where can I see a 'dog clutch'? thanks

One place is on a Great Dane truck. G

The other would be on a free-wheeling PTO clutch for old tractors with
'dead' PTOs.

I'm not sure where you'd see a dog clutch on any modern equipment.
What I class as a dog clutch, is a clutch where two drive shafts lock into
each other (ie. it's either engaged or disengaged).
The most common one I can think off, is where each side of the clutch is
like a castelated nut, that engage into each other. They are a relativley
crude type of clutch, but are cheap, simple and effective.

Aren't motorcycle transmissions gear changes by "dog clutches" ?
...lew...
jim rozen

In article t, Lew Hartswick
says...

Aren't motorcycle transmissions gear changes by "dog clutches" ?

Most of them, yes. They're constant (gear) mesh, and are shifted
by sliding plates on one shaft over dogs that are on the side of
the gears.

Another place to see a dog clutch is the feed reversing gearbox
on an Atlas lathe.

Jim

please reply to:
DoN. Nichols

According to jim rozen :
In article t, Lew Hartswick
says...

Aren't motorcycle transmissions gear changes by "dog clutches" ?

Most of them, yes. They're constant (gear) mesh, and are shifted
by sliding plates on one shaft over dogs that are on the side of
the gears.

Another place to see a dog clutch is the feed reversing gearbox
on an Atlas lathe.

Hmm ... that depends on *which* Atlas lathe. Certainly, my old
6x18" Atlas/Craftsman has the standard tumbler gears for feed reversal,
as does my Clausing 12x24".

Are you perhaps talking about the Craftsman "109" series lathe,
actually made by AA, IIRC? I understand that its feed is somewhat
strange -- and varies from decade to decade as well.

I think that a friend's Shoptask has a dog clutch in the feed
reverser, but I've not had the chance to take it apart, so I'm not
really sure.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Ken Cutt

http://www.unimogcanada.com/tech_offroad.html

Just a bit down from the top of the page . Luck
Ken Cutt
jim rozen

In article , DoN. Nichols says...

Another place to see a dog clutch is the feed reversing gearbox
on an Atlas lathe.

Hmm ... that depends on *which* Atlas lathe.

Example:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/img0.gif

The box on the left side of the leadscrew holds bevel gears
and dog clutches. The older 109 lathes used tumbler reversing
gears btw.

Jim

please reply to:

Lew Hartswick

jim rozen wrote:
In article t, Lew Hartswick
says...

Aren't motorcycle transmissions gear changes by "dog clutches" ?

Most of them, yes. They're constant (gear) mesh, and are shifted
by sliding plates on one shaft over dogs that are on the side of
the gears.

Jim

Thats wha I was remembering from my Berkley, many years ago.
Thanks Jim.
...lew...
Phil

Check this link:

http://www.menkensvdrives.com/casalereplacement.html

The drag boat folks use these "in-out" clutches. Casale is
probably the best known, the dog clutch is used with the
v-drives they make. This type of clutch was (maybe still are)
used in midgets and sprint cars. The older Indy cars used
them as well.

Phil Davis
247PalmBeachRE.com

B.B.

In article ,
"Moray Cuthill" wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
news

"cilorentson" wrote in message

Where can I see a 'dog clutch'? thanks

One place is on a Great Dane truck. G

The other would be on a free-wheeling PTO clutch for old tractors with
'dead' PTOs.

I'm not sure where you'd see a dog clutch on any modern equipment.
What I class as a dog clutch, is a clutch where two drive shafts lock into
each other (ie. it's either engaged or disengaged).
The most common one I can think off, is where each side of the clutch is
like a castelated nut, that engage into each other. They are a relativley
crude type of clutch, but are cheap, simple and effective.

Piggybacking since I didn't get the original article.
Swing by a truck shop and see if you can get a look inside of a Road
Ranger transmission. Full of 'em. Also common in locking differentials.

movies.crooksandliars.com/Countdown-Timeline-Katrina.mov
Don Foreman

How about the knee crank on a Bridgeport mill?

The power table feed on my Grizzly mill/drill uses a dog clutch. Same
on my little Prazi lathe. They only work on slow speed equipment, but
never "slip".

Paul

Jordan

Seems the advantage is near-positive drive with no slip (unless dogs get
rounded off - yes I have a Ducati).
Unless a speed-synchronising system is used, it's a "crash" box.
Only usable on co-axial components.
Don't all racing cars have them?

Jordan

Phil wrote:
Check this link:

http://www.menkensvdrives.com/casalereplacement.html

The drag boat folks use these "in-out" clutches. Casale is
probably the best known, the dog clutch is used with the
v-drives they make. This type of clutch was (maybe still are)
used in midgets and sprint cars. The older Indy cars used
them as well.

Phil Davis
247PalmBeachRE.com

carl mciver

Lawnmower pull starter

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"carl mciver" wrote in message
nk.net...
"cilorentson" wrote in message

Lawnmower pull starter

Like my suggestion, that's a pawl clutch.

LLoyd