Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Moray Cuthill" wrote in message

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in
message news
The other would be on a free-wheeling PTO clutch for old tractors with
'dead' PTOs.

I'm not sure where you'd see a dog clutch on any modern equipment.
What I class as a dog clutch, is a clutch where two drive shafts lock into
each other (ie. it's either engaged or disengaged).
The most common one I can think off, is where each side of the clutch is
like a castelated nut, that engage into each other. They are a relativley
crude type of clutch, but are cheap, simple and effective.

Ayup! Sorry, I was thinking of a "pawl" clutch on the tractor.

I have a dog clutch on my F.E. Reed lathe. It auto-releases the
longitudinal feed when the carriage hits your desired stop point.

LLoyd