RoyJ

But if he paints "condemned" on it, how will the supplier be able to
give him his money back since it will not be in "resellable condition"

wrote:

Mike Patterson wrote:

I bought a 1-1/4 bolt-on frame hitch receiver, after getting it on I
noticed that the hole for the pin that locks the hitch into the
receiver is drilled _vertically_ instead of horizontally.

I've never seen one like this before, did I get a defective hitch?

Thanks
Mike
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Don't use this receiver! The attach hole is supposed to be horizontal
for structural reasons. Looking at the receiver AND the insert, there
is heavy vertical bending load on both parts. Vertical bending loads
cause tension and compression stresses which are carried by the top and
bottom, with shear load carried by the sides. Think of it as an I-beam
with two webs. I'm sure you've seen I-beams with lightening holes in
the web. Within limits, this does not impair the ability to carry
loads. Every cut or nick on the flange has a corresponding reduction
in the beam strength in bending.

With a vertical hole in your receiver mount, you might expect premature
fatigue cracking and failure. Paint "CONDEMNED" on it so nobody else
can make the mistake of using it.

Pat
(Mechanical Engineer)