Dr. Hardcrab

"Jonathan Grobe" wrote in message
On 2005-09-19, Jonathan Grobe wrote:
Anyone done this? Any problems?

Actually I am looking at the small units which go
through the wall in a sleeve (42 inches wide, 16 inches high,
20 inches deep), 14,000 BTU 230 volts. There is need to add
refrigerant to these is there? The problems
look like cutting the hole in the wall and hooking up
the electricity.
Any experience with these (apparently popular for motel
rooms, that kind of thing)?

Through-the-wall??

You do not need a license to install that....to a point:

You need to make sure you aren't cutting through any electric or plumming
that may be behind the wall (where you are cutting the hole). You have to
make sure you "shore up" the studs (in the wall) that you are cutting to
make the hole. THEN you need to run electric to the unit, which you DO need
to have someone with a license to do.

Not making it up, but I just installed one yesterday at a friends house. I
framed out the hole that I cut and put 'J' channel around it (on the outide
to make the vinyl siding look better) and framed the unit (on the inside to
make IT look better). It is all ready to go except for the electricity. I
could have run the electric. It's not that hard to run the proper wire and
install a breaker, but I am not a licensed electrician so my friend will be
calling in someone that is licensed to finish it off.

Is it hard? No. But you do have to take precautions so you don't end up
causing more work for someone else to fix.....