harold balls

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 00:18:40 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"harold balls" wrote in message

The above statement seems to indicate that the above filter can get
plugged up to the point of effecting water flow. This would probably
go along with noticing a bad taste.
The view i'm leaning to is that unless you see a reduction in flow
rate or notice a change in taste, there is no need to replace the
filter. Money is not an issue.

There is also the possibility of bacteria buildup. If money is not an issue,
why play with a potential health issue? There are many variables depending
on your water, but I'd rather play it on the safe side. Do as you think is
right for your family.

Looking at this quote from a website, i'm starting to think wayne &
user are right.
http://www.cyber-nook.com/water/Solutions.html

Activated carbon filter cartridges will, over time, become less
effective at reducing contaminants as the pores clog with particles
(slowing water flow) and the adsorptive surfaces in the pores become
filled with contaminants (typically not affecting flow rate). There is
often no noticeable indication that a carbon filter is no longer
removing contaminants, so it is important to replace the cartridge
according to the manufacturer's instructions. The overall water
quality (turbidity or presence of other contaminants) also affects the
capacity of activated carbon to adsorb a specific contaminant.

By this above statement this guy is saying that an AC filter can lose
all of its filtration properties and still not clog up or show loss of
flow. You would think that if this were the case you would tell by a
difference in taste. Bacteria is another issue and one to be concerned
about.
When I started this thread, I should of worded the subject different,
and not used the word "scam". I thought this was just another
manufacturers recommendation to do something at a certain time thats
not really neccessary. Alot of them do it . My water Filter status
light has three settings. Good, order and replace. All they are using
to determine this a timer chip. When the replace light comes on they
are inferring that the filter is "bad" which is probably not the case.
Somewhat misleading but probably not a scam. As one responder noted,
some people need these kind of guidance. Good day