Mike Patterson

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:33:36 GMT, "Vaughn"
wrote:

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
.. .
I bought a 1-1/4 bolt-on frame hitch receiver, after getting it on I
noticed that the hole for the pin that locks the hitch into the
receiver is drilled _vertically_ instead of horizontally.

I've never seen one like this before, did I get a defective hitch?

Well, I have never seen one that way. But there are lots of things I
haven't seen. These things are highly individual to the make and monel of the
car it is made to fit. Can you get to both ends of the pin so you can easily
slide on the hitch pin clip? Can you see any reason why it would not work if it
were horizontal?

Vaughn

Thanks to all for the reponses, I've since looked at the factory
drawings and the hole is definitely wrong. I'd guess somebody got it
in the jig wrong while welding it up in the factory.

Two problems with using it as-is, can't fit a pin in from above, so
I'd have to use a pin with the swiveling "keep" on the end and insert
from below, which isn't really a problem since I planned to use one of
those anyway (already bought one). Though it makes me a bit nervouse
about the possibility of the pin falling out...

The second and more serious problem is that the ball mounts that fit
into the receiver are all drilled horizontally. I'd have to drill them
out myself, don't think it would hurt the structural integrity much,
but it'd be a bitch to drill a 5/8" hole through an inch of steel
using my el-cheapo benchtop drill press. :-)

I've emailed the company I bought it from, I expect they'll be sending
me another hitch - I hope.
Mike
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin