Andrew McKay

Default Central Heating Install: Building Control system/procedures etc

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:43:57 +0000 (UTC), "Jonathan Webb"
wrote:

The following is my understanding. Others will contribute where I may
be incorrect.

1. What things MUST be done by a "competent"/qualified person (eg
connect up the boiler) - can I physically install it (bolt it to wall
etc & connect it to the primary circuit)? NB I need a sealed CH system
and new HW cyl. (Not been convinced about Combis, esp flow rate - my
bath HW flows @16 litres/min. & I don't want to get into the Great Combi
Debate, at least not in this thread ;-) )

You should get a corgi registered gas fitter to install and commission
the boiler. This is something you can even do yourself, however it's a
job best left to a pro who will then take the responsibility if the
system goes kaboom 5 minutes after being started up.

I am not aware of any restrictions on your being able to physically
install everything else - you could pipe the whole system, put the
boiler on the wall, connect the waterworks, etc. But the corgi guy
will be responsible for ensuring that the gas installation is safe -
and he's not going to take a chance on that, he'll want to inspect the
work before he connects up (so don't bury things into the house fabric
which he might need to get at).

2. It seems that the fee must be based on a written estimate from a
plumber - which is unethical to get one round to quote when I have not
the wherewithal to get them to do the job, esp as they must know that it
costs £4-5k for most CH- is this just my local Council, or how they are
required to operate?

I have to admit I don't understand this query. The arrangement will go
something like the following:

You call a qualified corgi guy. Tell him that you are installing the
CH system but you need him to commission it and provide the relevant
certification.

The corgi guy will advise whether he's happy to do what you want, and
at what cost. It may be that he wants to do a little more than just
connect the gas supply and light up - but only he can tell you that.

You then repeat the exercise with a couple of other corgi guys to
ensure you've got the best price.

Finally, you arrange the date/time to make it happen.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk