harold balls

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:17:49 -0400, "Amun"
wrote:

"harold balls" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:11:06 -0400, harold balls
wrote:

Yellow all,
Wonder if anyone had the same experience. I have a sears
side by side refrigerator I bought about three years ago. Paid around
$1200 to $1300 for it. It works good but I don't understand the water
filtration system thats on this unit. It has the filter at the bottom
behind the grill. When you open the refrig. door , it has a bank of
led's towards the top. One of them says its time to change the water
filter. This happens about every six months. I just hit reset and it
goes back to "good". I know this is nothing more than a programed chip
telling that light to come on every six months. Here is what i don't
get. I can take the water filter completely out of the unit and the
water dispenser still works! and it does not leak in the recepticle
the filter came out of. Now how in the hell is this filter, filtering
any water? From my experience, When A water filter starts to "go bad"
you will notice a decrease in flow the worst it gets. I've had the
same filter in since I bought it and have not notice any reducing in
flow or any difference in taste. (Sears wants about $40 for anew
filter, but I see you can get them on the web for about $25.) I called
Sears up one time to question them about this, and the lady said all
she can do is send someone out on a service call to look at it. (which
I would have to pay for). I've been waiting to run into a service guy
out and about to cross examine him about this, but haven't run into
any yet.) BTW( i have city water, which the taste issue wouldn't be as
noticable probably). Has anyone else who has a sears side by side with
a water filter noticed or experienced this situation? Water filter
replacement is a big business. Thanks for any input!!

I suppose most of you guys are probably right, but it just seems a
little fishy to me. The flow rate stays the same with the filter
removed. It must have a by-pass built in. Maybe my water feeding it is
pretty good to start with. I'm going to have to buy a new filter and
then cut open the old one. This might tell me something. Thanks for
all your input

Wait a second here?????

You take out the filter and leave the housing completely open and it still
works fine ?

Or you pull out the filter media, put it back together without it and it
still works ?

AMUN

I can take the filter completely out of the housing and the water
dispenser works like filter was in there. The flow rate out of the
dispenser is the same with or without the filter in. So, something
molded on the end of the filter appearently engages the bypass valve
when you put the filter in the housing. Water comes out of the filter
when I have it in my hand. My whole point about this was this light
that comes on every six months telling you to chnage the filter. If
you do not notice any reduction in flow or how the water taste. then
there is no need to change this filter, no matter what that light
says. Thats what the scam is. That is not some hi-tech filter thats
going to remove every contaminant there is. When the filter starts
going bad you will notice it. After 3 and 1/2 years mine appearently
has not reached this point. good day.