John R. Carroll

Don Bruder wrote:
In article ,
"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

Between the two, I currently don't hold much hope for getting rid of
the damned things, though I wish I could. I managed to cold-turkey off
ritalyn years ago - Four days of being afraid I was going to die,
immediately followed by about two weeks of wishing I'd died back on
about day two - I got "the works" from that... the critters, the
projectile vomiting, the demons and even less-namable shapes jumping
around and screaming at me non-stop... It was truly ugly. I didn't
find out until afterwards that it's classed as being just slightly
less addictive than heroin or cocaine, but being out of it, with no
realistic source, I got through it. I managed to get off that, but
cigarettes seem to have me by the balls.

Don,
I just finished a sixteen week graduate studies program on addiction.
You got my attention when you said:

"Four days of being afraid I was going to die,
immediately followed by about two weeks of wishing I'd died back on
about day two"

These exact words were in most of the patient studies for opiates and
psychotropics.
ALL of the patients had been introduced to their addictive drugs by their
physicians.
Of the patient interviews with actual people, Oxycontin was the common
denominator. Nasty stuff.
If you ever find yourself medicated for pain it is essential that the meds
be stopped ASAP within reason and preferably under a doctors care.
If you can do without - do so.
That having been said, the only addiction that will actually cause death if
the drug is suddenly stopped is also the most easily obtained - alcohol. No
****.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.