Andy Hall

Default Cable colours for 110v fixed wiring

On 26 Jun 2004 08:51:48 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Andy Hall writes:

For convenience of use in the workshop I've added wiring and EN 60309
yellow industrial outlets carrying 110v from a centre tapped site
transformer switched on when power is required.

It doesn't seem right to run it with two reds either, although I

I've seen it done (once) in two browns, which was a mixure of singles
in conduit and T&E. This was before that would become the new colour
replacing two reds of course. (These colour T&E have been in use in
the Irish Republic for some years, so they probably have been available
with some difficulty for long time.) Given the new colours, I would be
tempted to go for two yellows now if it's all singles and you aren't
using yellow for anything else.

It is all singles.

Table 51A in the blue book only lists yellow as used for the Y phase
of a three phase circuit, although of course it is also commonly used
as one of the lives in two way lighting. I've used 1mm^2 yellow in
the centre compartment of the trunking for that purpose.

Interestingly, table 51 in Amendment 2 allows yellow as a control
circuit colour.

Given that the 110v wiring is running in another compartment and is in
6mm^2, it is pretty obvious and yellow does seem reasonable and not
missing from existing Table 51A.

AFAIR, the yellow Arctic flex uses the standard brown/blue/green/yellow.

Yes it does. I looked at some in an extension.

suppose one could argue that a red and a yellow as being two "phases"
would be legitimate. Equally, it could be reasonably argued that
two yellows be used, especially since they would be 6mm^2 and quite
obvious as well as segregated on the basis that yellow is associated
with the 110v transformer and outlets.

I guess you remembered to allow for 4 times the power loss due to
voltage drop.

Oh, yes. Hence the 6mm^2. The lengths are relatively short.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl