RicodJour

What is a "reasonable" profit and overhead surcharge when my general
contractor has a sub-contractor do work for him? We're doing a large
residential house by "time and materials".

You will get answers that are all over the place with an open-ended
question like that. Reasonable to whom? A GC's overhead typically
runs in the 30-35% range, but depending on the size of their business,
efficiency, the type of project, etc. it can vary above or below that.
Because a sub is doing a particular aspect of the work, that doesn't
mean the GC's overhead on that aspect will be less, it could very well
be more. The GC also frequently handles callbacks, and is responsible
for the warranty regardless whether the sub is still around or not.
Only your GC can tell you what he feels is reasonable.

If you don't trust your contractor, and feel he may gouge you, why
would you go any further? Find someone you can trust and work it out.