david lang

Capitol wrote:
|| The point which I notice is that the B & Q stores have lost any
|| semblance of order or cleanliness. I guess the staff have become
|| demoralised.

I'd agree with that, but it varies. I live on the edge of Strood, Kent, so
I'm about equidistant between a B&Q in Strood, a Wickes in Chatham and the
same two stores in Gravesend.

The difference is incredible, both the Gravesend stores are cleaner, tidier
and have much more of what you want in stock. Staff are more helpful &
knowledgeable - different world. Must be the managers.

|| Also, the stock is virtually identical to
|| Homebase/Focus/Wickes, it is what I understand as "Sheep Syndrome"
|| (copyright CSLtd), ie all stores have the same suppliers and stock.

I'd defend Wickes, they are more heavyside than B&Q or Homebase, not to
mention cheaper on most stuff.

Homebase is turning into a toyshop, not a DIY store. Only saving grace is
the panel cutting service. Focus is cramped, dirty and the staff have an
attitude problem round here.

|| B & Q are also uncompetitive on simple products such as replacement
|| lampshades and "Chinese" tools. They are just not in touch with the
|| market and rely on customer ignorance to get away with ridiculously
|| high prices for many cheap products.

No doubt about that, local plumbing shop regularly kicks B&Q's ass on price.

Dave