Phil Addison

Default Damp under upstairs window. Porous sill?

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 22:11:41 +0100, Pete C
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 00:23:35 GMT, Phil Addison
wrote:

Hmmm... I've just realised that everyone seems to be assuming that the
sill is still porous. Don't forget I have given a very generous sloshing
with silicone fluid. I WAS hoping you'd all say that should be OK, but
the only comment on is from Andy saying his only helped a bit. Is it the
case you all think that stuff was a waste of time?

Make a little 'dam' of blu tack on the cill, fill it with water and
see what happens.

I like that idea - very neat. I've got a packet of plasticine left from
the 'glass-slip' condensation vs damp test. Wonder if that'll stick well
enough. If not I'll buy a pack of blutak (hate the stuff normally -
wrecks the wallpaper when the family get their hands on it!).

Also might be worth pouring some water on the sill and checking any
runoff doesn't flow round onto the render beneath. Could be worth
treating those areas with silicone if you haven't done already.

Another possibility is that water is getting into the render next to
the window and soaking down past the edge of the cil, so it could be
worth treating those areas too.

Yep, did all that, sprayed pretty much everything in site. The spray
that got on the glass was a bugger to get off though. Meths and lots of
elbow grease shifted it in the end. White spirit might have been better
but didn't have any on site.

Finally, if you've treated the cill itself with silicone you might
have a job getting anything else to stick to it

Doh... You mean like blutak or plasticene!!!

cheers,
Pete.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/