Wooding

Default machinmart's Clarke power tools?

I'm a member of a model engineering club that, for the past 5 years, has
been building a 1/2 mile long raised track railway. The steel track has 3
rails (to accomodate 3.1/2" and 5" gauge) and is carried on steel sleepers
at 8" intervals. We purchased a very cheap Clarke pillar drill (it cost
£29.95 I think) which has been used to drill all the holes for the track.
Each sleeper has 2 holes, and each rail has 4. Each rail has 2 fishplates,
each containing 4 holes. Its not the most accurate pillar drill, but its
still going strong after all that work.
Make of it what you will, but it certainly worked (and continues to work)
for us.

--

Regards,
Gary Wooding

"Dave" wrote in message
Hi

I am looking for a drill and drill stand for very occasional use. Are the
Clarke stuff http://www.machinemart.co.uk/ranges.asp?g=115&r=2109 ok? It
seems so cheap, I dont mind if it doesnt last, its almost 'disposable' but
it might be more of a problem if it doesnt work properly in the first

place.

I'm looking at drilling some square section steel tubes, with holes up to
13mm.

Thanks
Dave