Dave

Default machinmart's Clarke power tools?

Hi

I am looking for a drill and drill stand for very occasional use. Are the
Clarke stuff http://www.machinemart.co.uk/ranges.asp?g=115&r=2109 ok? It
seems so cheap, I dont mind if it doesnt last, its almost 'disposable' but
it might be more of a problem if it doesnt work properly in the first place.

I'm looking at drilling some square section steel tubes, with holes up to
13mm.

Thanks
Dave

Rick Hughes

"Dave" wrote in message
Hi

I am looking for a drill and drill stand for very occasional use. Are the
Clarke stuff http://www.machinemart.co.uk/ranges.asp?g=115&r=2109 ok? It
seems so cheap, I dont mind if it doesnt last, its almost 'disposable' but
it might be more of a problem if it doesnt work properly in the first

place.

I'm looking at drilling some square section steel tubes, with holes up to
13mm.

I bought a VERY good drill press from warehouse direct - all cast iron
construction, it was a lot cheaper than the equivalent form Machine mart.

This link should take you there -
http://www.whdirect.co.uk/detail.las...=Login:4B4AEBF
C7890CC56814EAE719D08860B

A very good company .. but a terrible web site.

Rick

Wooding

I'm a member of a model engineering club that, for the past 5 years, has
been building a 1/2 mile long raised track railway. The steel track has 3
rails (to accomodate 3.1/2" and 5" gauge) and is carried on steel sleepers
at 8" intervals. We purchased a very cheap Clarke pillar drill (it cost
£29.95 I think) which has been used to drill all the holes for the track.
Each sleeper has 2 holes, and each rail has 4. Each rail has 2 fishplates,
each containing 4 holes. Its not the most accurate pillar drill, but its
still going strong after all that work.
Make of it what you will, but it certainly worked (and continues to work)
for us.

--

Regards,
Gary Wooding

"Dave" wrote in message
Hi

I am looking for a drill and drill stand for very occasional use. Are the
Clarke stuff http://www.machinemart.co.uk/ranges.asp?g=115&r=2109 ok? It
seems so cheap, I dont mind if it doesnt last, its almost 'disposable' but
it might be more of a problem if it doesnt work properly in the first

place.

I'm looking at drilling some square section steel tubes, with holes up to
13mm.

Thanks
Dave

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Dave wrote:
I am looking for a drill and drill stand for very occasional use. Are
the Clarke stuff http://www.machinemart.co.uk/ranges.asp?g=115&r=2109
ok? It seems so cheap, I dont mind if it doesnt last, its almost
'disposable' but it might be more of a problem if it doesnt work
properly in the first place.

Check out the B&Q and Wickes ones - they are probably from the same maker.
Machine Mart are rarely the cheapest, and remember their prices are ex VAT.

--
*There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Insurance for Tools Pablo UK diy 0 August 6th 03 08:42 PM
Online ordering of power tools? BigWallop UK diy 9 August 5th 03 01:53 PM
Power sockets in brick shed Andy Jeffries UK diy 9 July 31st 03 09:53 AM