HorneTD

Noon-Air wrote
Backfeeding through the main panel without a transfer switch is dangerous as
hell and in most places illegal.

Gideon wrote:
That ain't true.

Backfeeding through the main panel with a suicide cord is
illegal in some areas (should be in all areas), and backfeeding
without disconnecting from the utility drop is also generally
illegal.

But a backfeed with a proper cord or wiring, plus a break-
before-make connection should be perfectly legit. And perfectly
safe. Farmers have been using huge double-pole/double-throw
switches for eons when they backfeed in an emergency.

Gideon

Those huge double-pole/double-throw switches you mentioned are transfer
switches. By definition a "back feed" involves sending current through
a circuit from a point on the circuit that is not it's normal source of
supply.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.