Hollywood TJ

Default Wash Machine

I have a wash machine (I think the brand/model is irrelevant to my problem
but here it is . . .)
Whirlpool Gold
Ultimate Care, Heavy Duty, Super Capacity Plus
Quiet Wash.

I have had it for about five years.

The machine has worked fine for years, so this is not an installation
problem where the hose is not up high enough.

When I run the machine, the water fills up to about ten inches and then
starts to drain out of the hose. It never fills, so it can not start the
wash process. This has happened in the past and I would just move the dial
to the spin cycle to empty out the water and then start the machine again.

This no longer works.

But I now can stuff the hole with a plastic bag to prevent the water from
coming out and the wash machine will run through all the cycles.

I know nothing about machines and have not even attempted to remove any
covers.

Can anyone tell me what might be the problem based on the information
provided and a solution? Is this something I may be able to repair myself?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

TJ