Hollywood TJ

Default Wash Machine

I have a wash machine (I think the brand/model is irrelevant to my problem
but here it is . . .)
Whirlpool Gold
Ultimate Care, Heavy Duty, Super Capacity Plus
Quiet Wash.

I have had it for about five years.

The machine has worked fine for years, so this is not an installation
problem where the hose is not up high enough.

When I run the machine, the water fills up to about ten inches and then
starts to drain out of the hose. It never fills, so it can not start the
wash process. This has happened in the past and I would just move the dial
to the spin cycle to empty out the water and then start the machine again.

This no longer works.

But I now can stuff the hole with a plastic bag to prevent the water from
coming out and the wash machine will run through all the cycles.

I know nothing about machines and have not even attempted to remove any
covers.

Can anyone tell me what might be the problem based on the information
provided and a solution? Is this something I may be able to repair myself?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

TJ

Pop

Well, it's not an installation problem IMO, but it IS a problem
with the installation. For whatever reason, the water is
siphoning out of the machine. The water level in the machine is
getting close enough to the level of the hose J that it leaks
over it and eventually begins to siphon.
It's possible the drain pipe has become partly closed letting
the water collect faster in the pipe, or something has changed
position somewhere. Raise the highest level of the hose six
inches or more above the top surface of the washer andit should
stop.

IMO anyway.

PopS

:
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Hollywood TJ" wrote in message
But I now can stuff the hole with a plastic bag to prevent the water from
coming out and the wash machine will run through all the cycles.

I know nothing about machines and have not even attempted to remove any
covers.

Can anyone tell me what might be the problem based on the information
provided and a solution? Is this something I may be able to repair myself?

Check www.repairclinic.com for some information.

Sounds as if the drain is remaining open during the entire cycle. Not being
familiar with your machine I don't know exactly how it works, to the
referral to the web site. .

Appliance Repair Aid

Hollywood TJ wrote:
[...]

Hi,

Whirlpool Gold
Ultimate Care, Heavy Duty, Super Capacity Plus
Quiet Wash.

Model# would be more useful so how the washer was designed would be
known.

When I run the machine, the water fills up to about ten inches and then
starts to drain out of the hose. It never fills, so it can not start the
wash process.

Certainly -sounds- like a possible install issue. A copy:

Q - My washer seems to keep filling with water, the water keeps coming
in the washer and going out the drain without the washer motor running.

A - This often is a drain hose that is too low or a drain hose that has
been pushed too far down inside the stand pipe....the water is actually
siphoning out of the washer. Do not "seal" the drain hose to the house
plumbing pipe, this will also allow the water to be siphoned out.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Oscar_Lives

[...]

Sounds like the standpipe is too short. Is it at least 40" from the floor?

Tim Fischer

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
Sounds like the standpipe is too short. Is it at least 40" from the

floor?

The OP addressed that:

The machine has worked fine for years, so this is not an installation
problem where the hose is not up high enough.

-Tim

Hollywood TJ

The hose comes out of the machine and goes up 43 inched from the floor. It
then goes back down to the drain at the bottom of the wall.

I just raised it to 47 inches to see if this will help any. I'll try to run
the machine next week, as I have just finished washing before I read your
message.

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
. ..
"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
Sounds like the standpipe is too short. Is it at least 40" from the

floor?

The OP addressed that:

The machine has worked fine for years, so this is not an installation
problem where the hose is not up high enough.

-Tim

~^Johnny^~

--
-john