RicodJour

I have a thirty-year old house. I like the paint color.

The woodwork needs touch up. I was able to get a fantastic
color match from Sherwin Williams for the latex walls after
Napko paints disappeared.

Unfortunately, I cannot find anyone who has a tint base
for oil-based semi gloss for the interior woodwork.

I have heard the rumor that environmental regulations
regarding solvent emissions has caused paint companies
to discontinue oil-based paints which may explain why
I recently could not find varnish when I needed it either.

Anyone know for sure of anyone who currently stocks oil-
based tint base for interior semi-gloss? I think somewhere
I saw an "exterior" glossy oil based paint. Would there
be a way to reduce the gloss?

Anybody have any experience with artist paints? Could they
just be watered down with mineral spirits?

Anybody know of a place that might have a stock of old
paint?

Probably the last thing you'd want to do is buy old paint.

If you suggest a paint source or brand, please tell me
when you last used/saw it. I've spent a lot of time
already. I suspect somebody out there still carries it.

When I do a google search, I find a lot of advice about
not putting latex over oil-based, but nobody selling oil
based.

You shouldn't put oil-based paint over latex, but latex on oil-based is
fine. If you're really concerned about it, you can put one of the new
latex primers on first than a latex top coat. The new primers are
pretty amazing - they'll stick to pretty much anything.

I saw one recommendation to use oil-based primer as as
an undercoat for latex. If I get to that, is even oil-based
primer available?

That was the typical way of doing exterior siding.

I might add that my wife forced the re-carpeting of the house
before I could address this issue. Large scale use of chemicals,
belt sanders, etc. is now precluded. Meanwhile, the new carpet
accentuates the deficiencies in the paint.

If you wanted to strip the woodwork and start fresh, something like
Peel-Away with the fabric would be a good way to go. Non-toxic,
slather it on, cover with the paper, press into the crevices, go away
for a day or two. When you peel off the fabric all of the old paint
will come off with it. Then it's just a little hand scraping and a
touch with some sandpaper.