Dennis Turner

On 9/7/2005 3:43 PM or thereabouts, Rich Heimlich appears, somewhat
unbelievably, to have opined:

I bought a pair of highly-recommended Kohler 1.6 gpf toilets. Both are
the first 1.6gpf toilets I've owned.

After a few months of use, I've found that basically, both of them are
great unless someone does more than urinate in the toilet. If they do,
the toilet requires pretty much two flushes. The problem is that it's
usually the next person coming along that finds this out and has to do
the flushing.

Obviously we'd like to address that. I opened up both toilets hoping
to just extend the left float device to allow more water into the tank
but find that both toilets have center assemblies (sorry, I don't know
the proper terms here) where the overflow goes that extend right up to
the lip of the water. Thus if I raised the float device, the extra
water would just flow into the center drain tube forever.

What is everyone doing to deal with this? Is there an extension for
the center assembly? Is there a better way?

I think some one else has said this, but if you have poorly designed 1.6
gallon toilets, you will never be happy with them. Replace them with
good ones. I had a Kohler and a Universal-Rundle in a previous home
which I installed during bathroom remodels. Both were chosen for
appearance rather than function. Both were horrible.

I had a new home built last year and chose the builder's standard
toilets which turned out to be Vitra (a brand I'd never heard of).
Thought I would wind up replacing them after moving in as they were not
particularly good looking units. However, I have been so impressed with
the Vitra toilets which NEVER clog that I would recommend them to
friends and acquaintances. A lot of people recommend Toto or Caroma
toilets as good flushers. I remember visiting a website that listed
flush performance of various models of toilets, although I can't
remember where it was. Not surprisingly, my Vitras were rated near the
top. Don't mess with crappy toilets, replace them.

--
As a child, my parents thought I was an idiot-savant.
Now, however, it is rather clear that I'm simply an idiot.