james blake

Default Building Regs

No I dont mind telling you at all, I dont believe it would be possible for a
buildings control officer to miss it, if it was required.
It has to be said that although Building regs in theory are country wide, I
think it can be down to interpretation on individual Local Authoritys and
probably the BCO's within them.

My brother who is my architect said that he first came across a situation
like this about 9 months ago in Teignmouth, Devon (not where I am),
but said that he didnt think you would've beeen able to do it a couple of
years ago.

Basically where the stairs come down from the loft there is a lobby, to the
right of this is a fire door that leads to a landing and stairs downstairs
into my lounge, to
the left is another fire door leading to a bedroom that has a window at not
higher than something I cant remember. Each floor has a connected fire
alarm.

I think basically its something like..... The stairs to the front door are
the primary escape route even though they arent enclosed, however should
there be a problem getting there I can also use
the first floor window when coming down from the loft without entering the
rest of the house, the also has the double velux windows for the fire
brigade to get into.

Hope this helps

Blakey

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
.. .

"james blake" wrote in message
Well you'll be pleaseed to hear that I passed building regs no problems.

So
those of you who insist that the ground floor stairs be all boxed in

etc,
suggest you do a little further reading. :0)

Well, that's good news, you'll probably be feeling quite releived at

that!!!

Was there any indication as to what it was with your conversion that made
things compliant, having regards to the fact that the ground floor is open
plan? It just might help others (me included) whilst planning their
conversions.

However, it would be completely understandable if you didn't want to prod
that particular gimp during the inspection and question their decision too
closely, lest they scratch their heads and say "you're right - weve missed
something and it isn't compliant"!

--
Richard Sampson

email me at