william kossack

I started doing hollow forms by turning what my wife called my beads. I
would take a small square chunk and try to turn it round with as small
an opening as I could. It was lots of fun and challenging. Later when
I started doing shapes that could better be described as vases my wife
admitted that she did not care for the vessels with small openings.

More important is the total shape of the piece. Once the shape is done
then the size of the opening needs to be appropriate for the shape.
After all if your customer does not like the design of the product you
have failed and you might as well put it in the fire place this winter.

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Bill Rubenstein" wrote: The opening through which the inside of the blank
is evacuated is small as compared to the diameter of the piece.(clip)

Leo?

Arch?

That is essentially what is meant, but when you get involved in competition,
they get picky. I think my club defines it as a vessel with an opening of 1
1/2" or less, but I don't know whether there is a universal standard. If I
had to write a definition, it would be a certain percent of the maximum
diameter.

Years back, Lyn Mangiameli and I had running arguments about the validity of
judging a vessel by how small the opening is. I'd rather not get that going
again.