Darrell Feltmate

Essentially, most things we turn as faceplates are "hollow" forms or
vessels, be they bowls, vases, boxes or whatever. I think the term "hollow
form" as we use it to determine a "type" of form indicates a vessel with an
obviously small diameter opening compared to the diameter of the piece. I
have seen many of them turned inside and out using only a gouge and I have
used hollowing tools to undercut a bowl lip so the type of tools does not
determine the type of the piece. One of the commonly accepted variables
seems to be that vases have the grain going perpendicular to the base and
hollow forms have the grain parallel. So we have a vessel with an opening
obviously smaller than the diameter of the piece, most of the interior
removed, and the grain parallel to the base.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate