Mike Paulson

How would you define a hollow turned form?

I don't get out much with other turners even though I essentially turn for
a living, so I don't know what others think, but I have had to develop
some working definitions of my own for when I am communicating with
galleries. First, a hollow form is hollowed as opposed to a weed pot
which is simply drilled. Then:
if the hole looks quite small in relation to the diameter, it is a
hollow form
if the hole is nearly as big as the maximum diameter, then it is a bowl
if it is somewhere in between, I call it a vessel
I guess technically they are all vessels, but I needed a term for
something not an open bowl and not a hollow form, so I reserve that term
for the in-between category. If somebody has a good alternative I'd be
pleased to hear about it.

-mike paulson, fort collins, co