Don Foreman

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 07:53:48 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

I'm with you on not sending money to Detroit etc. My current inventory of
cars are an 83 MBZ an 82 Ford PU and 94 Taurus.

I really don't have much of a perspective on cancer rust repair however. In
CA when we got a rust bucket it was considered a poor candidate for repair
as there are a lot of cheap intact cars to be had. The rusters always
seemed to have a lot of other grief due to the corrosion like broken bolts
when you went to change a fan belt and lots of electrical gremlins also.

MN uses salt on the roads, particularly in metro areas. Cars rust,
though they're better than they used to be. It wasn't hard to find
cars with fairly low mileage (80K) in good mech condx but ugly as sin
so quite cheap. Most people buy appearance. "California cars"
go for a premium here.

I found (did not buy) one Blazer that I traced the history of. It
had sold in Chicago for $800, came up here, got a quick 'n dirty
paint job (not even washed before painting), was on the lot for $3500.
It was a jewel: one broken spring concealed with bodyputty and
paint, front diffy disconnected -- because it was different ratio
than the rear one. ("Doesn't matter, ya only use 4WD in snow,
right?")