carl mciver

wrote in message
oups.com...
| I am thinking of building a bed cover made out of wood and covered for
| my bed of my truck. It would have a hinge so it would open and I could
| store things like groceries, etc. It there a way to make it so the
| hinged part could be opened automatically by a button or remote or
| something? Can you help me find where the parts are?
|
| Just thinking right now. Any helpful ideas are appreciated!

Air cylinders in all shapes and sizes exist out there to do the work of
lifting. You can use an electric or engine driven air pump, but the
electric is likely the simplest to work with and easier to install. A ten
or so gallon air tank fits fine anywhere under the body and will store the
volume of air you need to lift the lid at a rate you like. You'll be doing
a bit of math unless you like trial and error.
You can also, with proper counterweighting or air springs, use electric
motors such as ones used for window winders. These things are strong as
hell but don't run so fast.

Folks who will likely have useful information and/or equipment will be
shops that do RV's, semi trucks, and those low rider shops, since they do a
good bit of that stuff, including pneumatics in addition to their usual work
with hydraulics.