Phil at small (vs at large)

Nobody_special wrote:

I'm making some branding irons myself, also for boxes.
(small ones - check out http://www.customcardboxes.com.
Hopefully I'll get pictures up of the brands soon)

Local scrap yard- alum barstock 2.5" wide, 1" thick, long enough
Cut off with borrowd metal cutting bandsaw.

Glue paper copy of logo to it, trace outline with
knife (otherwise it'll fuzz your edges as you cut it)

Don't forget to mirror left-right your logo. (DAMHIKT).

Hit the large places w/ a drill bitt in a drill press.
The background won't look smooth and pretty, but that doesn't
matter. Work to smaller drill bits.

Finish details out using a dremel w/ routing attachment. 1/32"
bit does pretty well.

Drill/tap the back to take a bolt for a handle- I did 3/8.

This may not work so well for text where you want really clean/straight
lines, but if the logo's more of a picture, it should work fine.

So-- how do you heat the iron? I made a small star brand out of a bolt
& used the drill press & propane to heat it up, Then used the drill
handle to stamp/brand some dominos I was making.
Could you use a large soldering iron & connect the brand where the
soldering tip would go?
Just thinking out loud here, but maybe copper would work for the iron
too- as it conducts heat a little better than aluminum & you can see
when the copper is getting too hot- Aluminum just goes a straw color
then melts